Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

ALL NEW AP 3915i not recieving an ip address from the dhcp server after first being 'tested'in another network

AP 3915i did not recieve an ip address from the dhcp server after being tested in another network to see if the AP was delivered well.
The AP had an ip address, being disconnected and conncted to another network with dhcp server in the same network, the AP did not recieve any ip address. After reset, it works. Is this something about caching on the AP?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
No there is no caching of the DHCP IP.

Could it be that the AP was set to static on the controller during the first test !?
Ron wrote:

No there is no caching of the DHCP IP.

Could it be that the AP was set to static on the controller during the first test !?

okay thanks
but how can I set it dynamic, so that it recieves a new ip when I disconnect the ap and connect it to another network then? Can i force this from the controller? or through ssh?
Userlevel 5
Check DHCP server logs if there are any requests from the APs.
Check if the network is untagged or not and if the AP is configured corresponding.
SH wrote:

Check if the network is untagged or not and if the AP is configured corresponding.

port is untagged
thx
SH wrote:

sorry, there were indeed requests in wireshark from the AP
Userlevel 4
Hi Sacha,
after getting the IP you can change the AP config from dhcp to static ip?
Regards
Umut Aydin
Umut Aydin wrote:

Hi Sacha,
Regards
Umut Aydin

thx, how can I change this config then?
Userlevel 5
Umut Aydin wrote:

Hi Sacha,
Regards
Umut Aydin

In the controller GUI go to AP select your AP press button "Configure" go to "Static configuration", change "IP Address Assignment form DHCP to Static Values.