Question

AP 6532 wont adapt to RFS6000

• 11 January 2019
  • 15 replies

I purchased a used AP6532 online. IT just arrived today and I plugged it directly into the RFS 6000 to adapt it and give it the necessary configuration. However, once I plugged it in, nothing new popped up in the controller's GUI. The lights on the AP are flashing both amber and green. How should I proceed to get this operating properly?

Thanks in advance.

15 replies

Userlevel 2
There are a few possibilities here but most likely you are running newer code on the RFS-6000 that does not support the AP6532. What version are you running on the controller? You can run the "show ver" command from the CLI to determine this.
Userlevel 6
Also you can check adoption with CLI command ' show adoption status '

You most likely will see the AP6532 with "version-mismatch' adoption status.
What does "adoption status version-mismatch" mean?
Userlevel 5
Since this is a unit you purchased online I would recommend you do the following:

1 - Reset it back to factory default (https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-factory-reset-WiNG-AP650-or-AP6532)
2 - Check firmware version on AP and make sure it's not too far behind (Please provide version)
3 - Check firmware on controller to make sure it supports the AP (Please provide version)
3 - Make sure you have enough licenses on the controller (#show lic)
4 - If using layer 2 adoption on the controller, verify that Mint MLCP VLAN is not disabled (on both #self >> #show mint mlcp)
5 - Run command '#show mint neighbors' on both, what do you get?

What method do you use to adopt AP:
DHCP option 191, Controller host, MLCP VLAN, etc.?

Thank you,

Chris
Userlevel 6
Hello all,

Thanks for your advice. I have plugged the AP into the spare RFS 6000 that currently not in production. I hav e input the commands suggested for troubleshooting and I did not see any devices at all in the adoption table. Also, because it is not in production, there are no licenses assigned to it. I have attached a screenshot of the CLI.

with out license you will not be able to adopt any APs.
Here is a 3 month tmp license key,

code:
20760027ec9364583a88f4fbb2fdec71f510269416035c01c3d3e6c0ef729cefdedf685a800c377e

To apply from the CLI use the following syntax:

>enable [enter]
#self [enter]
# license aap [enter]
#commit [enter]
#wr mem [enter]
Userlevel 6
I can not find a download file for 5.2.13 or 5.4.x . I am only seeing 5.5.x and up

Please contact GTAC Support for AP650 v5.2.13 image file.

How To: Upgrade RFS with AP650 on v5.2.12 or lower to latest release
Hello all,

Thanks for your advice. I have plugged the AP into the spare RFS 6000 that currently not in production. I hav e input the commands suggested for troubleshooting and I did not see any devices at all in the adoption table. Also, because it is not in production, there are no licenses assigned to it. I have attached a screenshot of the CLI.

Thank you,

I have applied that temp license. However, I am still not getting anything showing up in adopted devices.
Userlevel 5
You haven't provided us with any information on the AP6532

1 - Are you able to ping it?
2 - Are you able to log into it?
3 - Has it pulled a DHCP IP address from DHCP server?
4 - Any idea what firmware version it's on?
5 - Was it supposed to be reset back to factory default when you purchased it?

There have been many instances were users have locked themselves out of these APs and they have become unreachable. You might have fallen on one of those. Due to the lack of console port, you will need to use our discovery tool to try and find it. If the discovery tool does not detect it and you are not able to reach it, then it will have to be RMA'd.
You haven't provided us with any information on the AP6532

1 - Are you able to ping it?
2 - Are you able to log into it?
3 - Has it pulled a DHCP IP address from DHCP server?
4 - Any idea what firmware version it's on?
5 - Was it supposed to be reset back to factory default when you purchased it?

There have been many instances were users have locked themselves out of these APs and they have become unreachable. You might have fallen on one of those. Due to the lack of console port, you will need to use our discovery tool to try and find it. If the discovery tool does not detect it and you are not able to reach it, then it will have to be RMA'd.

I am not sure how to provide that information. It does not have a console port and I do not know how to check the IP address that it has. The link you gave to factory reset the device also requested that I connect to it via its IP address
Userlevel 5
Let me know if the tool works.

Thanks,
Ok, Ive reset it with the discovery tool. The AP is on version 5.3.0.0-088R and the RFS is on version 5.9.1.1-009R. How should I proceed?
Userlevel 5
This version is the problem, even if you plug it directly into the controller it will not do anything about it.

You will have to manually upgrade it to either of these versions first:

5.2.13 or 5.4.x then if the 5.9.1.1 image for this AP is already on the controller, it should automatically upgrade it to same once connected and if autoupgrade is enabled. Or you can manually take it to 5.2.13 then 5.9.1.1 and plug it in for adoption.
This version is the problem, even if you plug it directly into the controller it will not do anything about it.

5.2.13 or 5.4.x then if the 5.9.1.1 image for this AP is already on the controller, it should automatically upgrade it to same once connected and if autoupgrade is enabled. Or you can manually take it to 5.2.13 then 5.9.1.1 and plug it in for adoption.

How can I upgrade to 5.2.13??
Userlevel 6

How can I upgrade to 5.2.13??

How To: How to upgrade a WiNG controller or AP from CLI
I can not find a download file for 5.2.13 or 5.4.x . I am only seeing 5.5.x and up