Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

ap7522e can be adopted by a wing 5 controller?

Userlevel 2
I have an ap 7522E with Wing Express. Can this ap be adopted by a controller with a Wing 5 version (no express)?
Is ap 7522e capable of changing firmware for ap7522 (not express)?

Thanks
[/code]

15 replies

Userlevel 3
No, the express versions are incompatible with the non-express versions, and there is no mechanism for changing from one to the other.
Userlevel 3
Andrew Webster wrote:

No, the express versions are incompatible with the non-express versions, and there is no mechanism for changing from one to the other.

Hello Jose Luis,

As Andrew states, this is not possible. Take a look at the following article in our knowledgbe base answering your question:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/Can-I-adopt-WiNG-Express-APs-on-a-standard-co...

If you have any further question let us know.

Have a nice afternoon!

Daniel
Userlevel 2
Andrew Webster wrote:

okay. thanks for replying. a question: I have 2 models of AP7522E-67040-WR. one with wing express and the other not. Does the final E of the name do not indicate if it is wing express or no wing express?
attached image

Userlevel 3
Andrew Webster wrote:

Hello Jose Luis,

Both part numbers contain E, meaning both are Express, the limitation in configuration was introduced on 5.8, that is why you are not able to perform any configuration change on that AP (as it is running 5.8.4).

Kind regards,

Daniel.
Userlevel 2
Andrew Webster wrote:

could it be downgraded to a version 5.7 express to be able to make the configurations and adopt it in the controller?

Thanks Daniel.
Userlevel 3
Andrew Webster wrote:

Hello Jose Luis,

That's not supported, all the configuration for those Express APs should be done via GUI. And it was mentioned on the article, those APs will only get adopted only for WiNG Express controllers, NX5500E, NX7500E or VX9000e.
Userlevel 2
Andrew Webster wrote:

ok. Thanks for the clarification Daniel.
Regards
Userlevel 2
Andrew Webster wrote:

sorry to bother you again daniel.
I have a client with rfs controllers in cluster and a park of 600 AP distributed in different rf-domain. For various reasons we have to upload the firmware of your system from version 5.7 to 5.8.6.5. One of the rf-domain has all aps model 7522E. According to the article that you passed me I understand that when uploading the system to 5.8.6.5 these APs will not serve.

Tranks. Regards.
Userlevel 2
Andrew Webster wrote:

sorry to bother you again daniel.
I have a client with rfs controllers in cluster and a park of 600 AP distributed in different rf-domain. For various reasons we have to upload the firmware of your system from version 5.7 to 5.8.6.5. One of the rf-domain has all aps model 7522E. According to the article that you passed me I understand that when uploading the system to 5.8.6.5 these APs will not serve.

Tranks. Regards.
Userlevel 3
Andrew Webster wrote:

Jose Luis,

I am not sure if I understand you... AP models do not change upon firmware upgrade. If the AP model is, for example AP7522E (as the one you have in the picture), after upgrade it will remain to have the same part number. In an RFS environment, you will not be able to adopt those APs independently of the version they are running as we do not have RFS EXPRESS controllers. An easy rule of thumb:

AP7522E - Will be adopted by VX9000E, NX7500E or NX5500E
AP7522 (Enterprise Model, no E in the part number) - Will be adopted by any RFS, NX or VX enterprise controller.

Hope this clarifies.

Kind regards,

Daniel.
Userlevel 2
Andrew Webster wrote:

Sorry for my poor english

What I do not understand then is because there is now an rf domain with 7522E ap that are yes adopted by the rfs controller (not express). Also in these aps 7522E yes I can configure them by CLI

I understand it's because they are now in version 5.7. and where this limitation was introduced was version 5.8. Then when the system is upgraded to 5.8, I will lose the management of these aps.

Thanks Daniel
Userlevel 3
Andrew Webster wrote:

Hello Jose Luis,

Can you please share the output of the following commands for those express adopted APs?

show version
show adoption status
show mint link details

Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 2
Andrew Webster wrote:

Hello Daniel.
I attached image with the outputs of the commands

[/code]
Userlevel 3
Andrew Webster wrote:

Hello Jose Luis,

Those APs are adopted because an old bug we have, so, yes, after you upgrade all the infrastructure to a newer release, all those Express APs will not be adopted to the RFS controller.

Kind regards,

Daniel.
Userlevel 2
Andrew Webster wrote:

Ok Daniel. These are bad news but thank you very much for your help.

[/code]Saludos.