Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks
Question

ap7532 factory default ap is adopted

Hello there..i have this ap which i want to factory reset. I used the Ap discovery tool but when tries to reset fails and send a message that the ap is adopted. Im stuck because i dont have the controller that adopts this one...what other method i can use to factory reset this AP?

19 replies

Userlevel 5
if you have a console cable, log in as u: reset p: FactoryDefault
Robert Zarzycki wrote:

I use that, Ap resets but remains the original configuration..dont know the password..tried admin-admin admin-Admin123 no luck
Userlevel 5
Robert Zarzycki wrote:

default password may be motorola

have you unplugged it from the network?

if you get in you can run the following commands :
delete startup-config
reload
Userlevel 5
Hello Fernando,

What firmware version is the AP running on?

Can you SSH into it and do you have the login credentials? If you are able to console or SSH into it then please follow these instructions to default the config: How to factory reset the config of a WiNG AP or controller from CLI

To reset an AP using the discovery tool, it should not have been up for more than 10 minutes. Reboot the AP and try again. You will need the serial number of the AP.

SSH into this AP if possible and run the following command to determine which AP is the controller should you need this information:
>en #show adoption status [/code]I hope this helps,

Regards

Chris
Userlevel 3
Hello Fernando - thank you for your inquiry. We have a great KCS article that covers alternate method to reset AP 75xx via CLI procedures:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-factory-reset-access-point-4522

Hope this helps?
Christoph S. wrote:

Hello Fernando,

What firmware version is the AP running on?

Can you SSH into it and do you have the login credentials? If you are able to console or SSH into it then please follow these instructions to default the config: How to factory reset the config of a WiNG AP or controller from CLI

To reset an AP using the discovery tool, it should not have been up for more than 10 minutes. Reboot the AP and try again. You will need the serial number of the AP.

SSH into this AP if possible and run the following command to determine which AP is the controller should you need this information:
>en #show adoption status [/code]I hope this helps,

Regards

Chris

Ty Cris..my problem is that i dont have the password to access via console
Ron Galien wrote:

Hello Fernando - thank you for your inquiry. We have a great KCS article that covers alternate method to reset AP 75xx via CLI procedures:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-factory-reset-access-point-4522

Hope this helps?

Ty Ron..tried user reset FactoryDefault..no luck..any other idea?
Userlevel 3
Ron Galien wrote:

Hope this helps?

Hi Fernando - please try this:
Issuing the CLI command to reset the AP will also clear its config.

Login: admin

Password: FactoryDefault

It’s not possible to reset just the password and persit its config.
Userlevel 5
Ron Galien wrote:

Hope this helps?

These reset credential may only be used if consoled into the AP. Will not work if logged in via SSH.
Userlevel 7
It sounds like the AP may be re-adopting back to the controller after you reset it.

Maybe try putting it somewhere in the network that it cannot reach the controller so that it does not re-adopt.
Userlevel 3
Hi Fernando, here a good knowledge base article that covers hot to prevent AP adoption:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/Wing-How-To-Prevent-APs-Attempting-To-Adop...

After setting these paramters - please try the AP discovery tool with reset option thereafter

Important note: It is very important to note that resetting the AP using the discovery tool has to be done within 10 minutes of the AP being up and running, so I would suggest rebooting the AP and then following the instructions to reset

Hope this helps?
Ron Galien wrote:

Hi Fernando, here a good knowledge base article that covers hot to prevent AP adoption:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/Wing-How-To-Prevent-APs-Attempting-To-Adop...

After setting these paramters - please try the AP discovery tool with reset option thereafter

Important note: It is very important to note that resetting the AP using the discovery tool has to be done within 10 minutes of the AP being up and running, so I would suggest rebooting the AP and then following the instructions to reset

Hope this helps?

Ty Ron..my problem is that i dont know the admin password and the reset procedure does not erase the password..the aptool cannot reset to defaults due is adopted..ty for your support
Userlevel 5
Hello Fernando,

Here are 4 of the most common ways to reset an AP:

1 - Console into the and use the reset/FactoryDefault credentials
2 - If possible SSH into the AP and delete the startup config
3 - Use the discovery tool with reset. Reboot AP prior to using the tool
4 - Adopt it onto a controller and have it pull the new config and credentials

If all else fails, please contact GTAC for further assistance: How to contact Extreme Networks Global Technical Assistance Center (GTAC)

I would recommend you segregate this AP from the rest of the network first, then attempt whichever option works for you.

Can you log into any other AP?
Do you have a controller or virtual controller you can access?

There are other ways of accessing the AP and resetting it from another AP or controller, but we still have to have the bare minimum to work with.

Regards,

Chris
Christoph S. wrote:

Hello Fernando,

If all else fails, please contact GTAC for further assistance: How to contact Extreme Networks Global Technical Assistance Center (GTAC)

I would recommend you segregate this AP from the rest of the network first, then attempt whichever option works for you.

There are other ways of accessing the AP and resetting it from another AP or controller, but we still have to have the bare minimum to work with.

Regards,

Chris

Ty for you support Cris
So far i tried options 1,2,3..no luck. I ve got other AP that i can use..but i ignore how can i adopt it..please advise
The MAC of my AP: 7467F7A3A674
Regards
Userlevel 5
Christoph S. wrote:

Hello Fernando,

Regards,

Chris

Hello Fernando,

Please try out these credentials:

uname: admin
pw: HNKi2&Ee

Regards
Christoph S. wrote:

Hello Fernando,

Regards,

Chris

Step 1 Access with console cable user admin pass FactoryDefault..

Step 3 Tried to reset wit AP tool..says the ap is adopted..no luck

Step 3 tried to Access with the temp pass you sent..no luck again

All the othere procedures mentions steps once logeed..but what can i do if cannot log in?

As i cannot login...should i contact GTAC?

Userlevel 1
Christoph S. wrote:

Hello Fernando,

Regards,

Chris

login: reset
password: FactoryDefaults

then when it comes back

admin
admin123
Userlevel 4
Did you unplug the cable when you reset AP?
Userlevel 4
You will need to take AP off of the network and factory reset the AP using the steps that Chris Saade previously provided. Once AP has been factory reset, use the article Ron Galien previously provided to disable mint mlcp ip and mint mlcp vlan at the device level. This will ensure that the AP cannot be adopted by any wireless and/or virtual controllers when placed back into the original network.

Chris Frazee