How can I unconfigure the 802.11b protocol at all my 4610 APs? The AP are controlled by a WM3700.

We have to apply some changes at the wireless infrastructure, one of them is disable or unconfigure the 802.11b protocol, but I was looking for some method to apply it for all the APs at once. I only know how to do that but one by one AP

12 replies

You can change it at the AP profile level instead of the AP itself. This way it will get applied to all APs that use that profile.

Sean
Userlevel 1
why do you want to unconfigure 802.11b?
Laura wrote:

This is a part of some recommendations for improving the wireless network made by our engineering after they have done a wireless assessment.
Userlevel 1
Laura wrote:

is it because b only transmits 11mbps? we are having wireless issues at our schools . one of the techs says to turn off the b radio. i guess that makes sense. wireless can be confusing.
Laura wrote:

Its not just about the speed maxing at 11m. Its the protection mode that the Ap turns on when a B client is in the area.

think about a race track with cars going around it at 200mph. If a car has a problem then they wave the flag and slow everyone down so there is not a crash. Same applies here. When a B client comes on he cant tell what the G,N clients are doing so the AP slows everyone down to the b level to make things fair.
this causes a severe performance drop because all the things in the newer protocols to make things faster are thrown out in favor of common ground to support the b client.

Hope that makes sense
Sean
Userlevel 1
Laura wrote:

that makes sense, thank you for the explanation,
i have another question you might be able to help with,
We have enterasys 3605 APs in our schools. Radio 1 is on a/n mode on the 5 GHz band and Radio 2 is on g/n mode on 2.4 GHz.
I read somewhere that g is backwards compatible with b, so does that mean the performance drops to 11Mbps if a b device connects to g?
Laura wrote:

its only backwards compatible if you have b turned on. If you have it set to g/n instead of b/g/n then the b client should not be able to connect.
You will want to test this to verify though.
Userlevel 1
Laura wrote:

when i look at the clients that are attached to the AP, it says they are using b/g.
does transmit power have anything to do with performance? Both radios are set to "Max Tx Power" at 24 dBm. radio 2 current Tx power is always higher than radio 1 Tx power.
Userlevel 7
Laura wrote:

"..... so does that mean the performance drops to 11Mbps if a b device connects to g?"

Please keep in mind that even if you configure g/n only that the min. basic rate of 802.11g is 6mb.
So even with g/n only a client at the border of the WLAN cell could connect with "only" 6mb.

Make sure to enable Flexible Client Access...
>VNS > Global > Wireless QoS -> Flexible Client Access AND also on the WLAN Service in the QoS section
...so every client get's the same time to tx data = slower clients will not affect faster clients.

Another thing is to reduce the number of SSID to a minimum as all the beacon/mgmt frames are tx with min basic rate and that could result in a BIG overhead = wasted airtime = wasted bandwidth.

* i.e. AP with 6 SSID..
min basic rate 1mb = 26% utilization
min basic rate 2mb = 13% utilization
min basic rate 6mb = 4.3% utilization
...if you tx only 3 SSIDs you'd reduce also the overhead by 50%
*from a Extreme presentation
Userlevel 1
Laura wrote:

We have the flexible client access enabled, and have 3 ssid's
it is the smart thing to do if you want the best performance from your WLAN
Sean Hogston wrote:

it is the smart thing to do if you want the best performance from your WLAN

Thanks, I had not realized where I can apply the change.