Max concurrent client connections per WiNG AP?


Userlevel 2
Hi everyone,

Could someone let me know the max concurrent client connections per radio and per AP of WiNG APs like 76xx, 75xx, 8533, 8432?

What are parameters affect to this? And how to estimate the max number in real operation?

Thanks so much.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
You should be able to find that information in the datasheet of the AP...

http://www.extremenetworks.com/extremewireless-wing/

i.e AP7632 datasheet
Concurrent Users = 256 per radio
Userlevel 2
Ron wrote:

You should be able to find that information in the datasheet of the AP...

http://www.extremenetworks.com/extremewireless-wing/

i.e AP7632 datasheet
Concurrent Users = 256 per radio

But about both 2 radios also per AP? And other model?
This value Is relative AND theoric . By radio i recomend no More than 50% of capacity by radio. Example : ap7522 has 800mbps then 50% Is 400 MB . You assure 10 MB by user then you has only 40 users like limit.
Userlevel 2
JESUS REYES DIAZ wrote:

This value Is relative AND theoric . By radio i recomend no More than 50% of capacity by radio. Example : ap7522 has 800mbps then 50% Is 400 MB . You assure 10 MB by user then you has only 40 users like limit.

Hi Jesus,

By this theory, if i assure 2 MB per user, i will have max 200 user connect concurrently?
Userlevel 6
Hey Son,

in theory we allow up to 256 MUs per radio but in real world you do not want to go above ~20 (based on standard)

Consider the air medium as half duplex, add necessary ACK frames, FSPL and re-tries, different standards b/g/n and air-time fairness etc.
Having 256 clients stable is an utopia.

Regards,
Ondrej
Userlevel 2
Ondrej Lepa wrote:

Hey Son,

in theory we allow up to 256 MUs per radio but in real world you do not want to go above ~20 (based on standard)

Consider the air medium as half duplex, add necessary ACK frames, FSPL and re-tries, different standards b/g/n and air-time fairness etc.
Having 256 clients stable is an utopia.

Regards,
Ondrej

Hi Ondrej,

If so, what is the parameter affect mostly to this? Is there a formula to estimate the max concurrent connection by data rate per connnection?

This is very important number which all customer want to know about a wifi AP. They want a real number, not theory.

Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Ondrej Lepa wrote:

Hey Son,

in theory we allow up to 256 MUs per radio but in real world you do not want to go above ~20 (based on standard)

Consider the air medium as half duplex, add necessary ACK frames, FSPL and re-tries, different standards b/g/n and air-time fairness etc.
Having 256 clients stable is an utopia.

Regards,
Ondrej

Hi Son,

I agree with Ronald's response below.
To determine maximum number of concurrent wireless clients you have to determine the clients' demands first.

There is a lot of reading you may find to learn more about it.
The most recognized, apart of below mentioned CWDP, I'd also point out RevolutionWiFi portal

Regards,
Ondrej
Userlevel 7
There is no a+b=c forumula as there are a lot of parameters involved.

I'm pretty sure every vendor includes the max theory value in the datasheet as a real value depends on the client traffic.... customer#1 uses the WLAN only to connect some barcode scanner that use 50kbit/sec and customer#2 uses the WLAN to transmit 4k vides streams.

It's obvious that customer#2 can connect less clients then customer#1 per AP/radio.

But also other parameters on the infrastructure affect the client number... MBR, # of SSIDs, channel width, CCI, .....

You'd learn more about WLAN design in this training/book...

https://www.cwnp.com/certifications/cwdp
Userlevel 2
Ron wrote:

There is no a+b=c forumula as there are a lot of parameters involved.

I'm pretty sure every vendor includes the max theory value in the datasheet as a real value depends on the client traffic.... customer#1 uses the WLAN only to connect some barcode scanner that use 50kbit/sec and customer#2 uses the WLAN to transmit 4k vides streams.

It's obvious that customer#2 can connect less clients then customer#1 per AP/radio.

But also other parameters on the infrastructure affect the client number... MBR, # of SSIDs, channel width, CCI, .....

You'd learn more about WLAN design in this training/book...

https://www.cwnp.com/certifications/cwdp

Thanks Ronald!

Reply