Problems with AP650 being adopted by RFS6000

Show first post

35 replies

Gutan,

A couple of points...

1. The cluster looks okay.
  2. The APs are showing lots of uptime, but the adoption time is relatively short, just over a month. Have the RFSes been rebooted or some other loss of network connectivity occurred? Destabilization of the shared DB can also cause unadoption/readoption. There are some useful commands that can help pinpoint the issue, but you need to understand what you're looking at. I'm not sure if this CLI command is available in 5.4.1, but "show mint mlcp history" will detail what conversations are taking place between the APs and the RFS during discovery and adoption.
  3. I noticed that there is a * in the command prompt, this indicates that a component on the RFS crashed at some point. This can occur for many reasons, you can use "service show crash-info" to get details on what that was, and "service clear crash-info" to reset the flag.
  4. Version 5.4.1 is really really old (2012) and has loads of bugs. You can get covered with maintenance for less money than you think by getting Software & TAC coverage on your APs. This gives you access to latest software for APs and the RFS, including the ability to open cases with GTAC. I don't know what region you are in, but for reference, Software & TAC part number for an AP650 (AP0650-66030-US) is 97000-H30939 and it is $17 USD List price for 1 year coverage.

Hi Andrew,
Yes some of the APs and the RFSes have a lot of uptime. I have to say that we don't really get the chance to reboot them very often (once a year maybe). I added the result of the command mint mlcp history and also the service show crash-info.

show
It seems that the AP650 from extreme networks is not recognized by the RFS?

How can we download the error log generated on the 8th of june?

Thanks
Userlevel 3
It looks like you've found the problem!

The good news is that it is possible to convert older OEMed AP650s, but I think this is onfirmware 5.7.0 and above, so you'd definitely need to get maintenance to get access to these versions.

Check here for more info: http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/release_notes/wing/WiNG_v5_7_Release_Notes.pdf
Ok Andrew,

We do have a version 5.7.0.0-057R that we never took the time to install. Do you really think that upgrading to this version will solve our issues?
Userlevel 3
Gutan,

Sorry, I just can't answer that because I don't know your environment. You'd probably want to hire a wireless expert to manage this type of upgrade, as you may not be able to go straight to that version (or preferable the latest version) without passing through certain intermediate versions. What I can say is that keeping up to date with the current versions is good IT practice for many reasons, both from an operational and security perspective. In addition, it allows you to add current model APs to your system without having to resort to secondary markets like ebay and the challenges associated with that.
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your answer. We do try to keep all of our equipments updated but wifi infrastructure somehow slipped between our fingers. Anyway it is weird that some of our APs suddenly loose the adoption after a reboot. Does the blinking amber led every 2 or 3 senconds mean a firmware problem? We did not find this kind of behavior in any ReleaseNotes we've read.
Userlevel 3
Flashing amber every couple of seconds indicates loss of communication with the controller (unadopted).

As far as why your are loosing adoption, a full troubleshooting session would be required to figure out why this is happening.
Userlevel 1
hi,

what does the "show adoption " commands tells you?

show adoption history
show adoption log adopter

nr
richi
Hello richi,

Thank you for your answer. I have an example that appeared a couple of days ago when I rebooted a switch. One of the antennas that worked perfectly prior to this reboot, can no longer get adopted. Both leds (green and amber) are on and fixed

Issuing your commands gives me this result:

B4-C7-99-bla-bla-bla AP650 adopted 2017-06-19 10:03:24 N.A.
B4-C7-99-bla-bla-bla AP650 un-adopted 2017-08-14 16:33:41 Adoptee Not Reachable

For the second command I don't have the option log:

>show adoption ?
config-errors Display configuration errors for adopted access point
history Display adoption history status of this device and its
adopted access point
info Display information about adopted device(s)
offline Display unadopted status of this device and its adopted
access point
pending Display information related to devices not adopted
status Display adoption status of this device
Userlevel 1
Hello richi,

Thank you for your answer. I have an example that appeared a couple of days ago when I rebooted a switch. One of the antennas that worked perfectly prior to this reboot, can no longer get adopted. Both leds (green and amber) are on and fixed

Issuing your commands gives me this result:

B4-C7-99-bla-bla-bla AP650 adopted 2017-06-19 10:03:24 N.A.
B4-C7-99-bla-bla-bla AP650 un-adopted 2017-08-14 16:33:41 Adoptee Not Reachable

For the second command I don't have the option log:

>show adoption ?
config-errors Display configuration errors for adopted access point
history Display adoption history status of this device and its
adopted access point
info Display information about adopted device(s)
offline Display unadopted status of this device and its adopted
access point
pending Display information related to devices not adopted
status Display adoption status of this device

ok, show adoption log comes up in a higher version

both leds solid means "system booting"
unfortunatelly your ap stucks

software fallback feature is enabled by default, maybe it recovers after longer uptime with the other image

if it still does not come up, the ap stucks in the beginning of the boot process and is not recoverabe by us cause officially there is no console port

if it comes up, maybe it will have the wrong (older) firmware from the other image bank.

therefore i would recommend to disable automatic firmware update on the controller if the ap adopts.

when buying aps on ebay, you do not know the fw version running, so disabling autoupgrade will definitely a good idea

if all fails, the only way is to open a rma case.
the ap650 got limited lifetime waranty, so no contract should be needed.

without contract the only thing is, that the repairing process time is undefinded.
could be some weeks, but it works.
Buenas dias

Tengo in problema que dos ap650 no lo detecta la controladora rfs4000, los leds del AP650 quedan fijos

Alguna persona en español