Question

Meshconnex between two AP7131

• 28 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Hello, 

I have two AP 7131 access point which I am trying to connect with Mesh. Both are running on Wing 5.7. How can I accomplish that? I have reading some topics here and some documentations here but it does not look like I am getting it right. Can anyone please give me step by step instructions using gui I really appreciate it. Thanks in advanced.

Thanks

Forhad

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi Forhad,

Attached How To MeshConnex guide should help you with step by step UI based instructions. The branding on the guide is a bit old but the content and all the UI options are still valid.

Since you have only two APs and no controller involved, one of the APs will be configured as Virtual Controller (VC) and entire configuration will be managed with the VC, instead of configuring two APs individually. 

Regards,

Ovais 

Thank you Ovais. I am still not having any luck. I followed the atttached instructions but there some options are missing in Wing 5.7. Like under the Smart RF - > Scanning Configuration there is no option to add the meshpoint. Then when I go to the statistics and select default and select mesh point then MCX logical view I can see both the APs. Please see the attached picture. The problem I am having is when I moved the second AP far from the root AP I cannot connect to the internet. Can you please help me with this? I really appreciate it. 

Thanks

Forhad

Sorry forgot to add the picture.

Userlevel 4

Hi Forhad,

You can skip the Smart-RF configuration and set the 5GHz interface on both APs to the same channel by navigating to Configuration > System Profile > Interfaces > Radios > Radio 2 > Channel (set the channel to any non-DFS channel, you can use channel 36,40,44,48).

From the screenshot, it looks like that you have a 5GHz Mesh link established between the two APs, which is good. I need to understand your scenario a bit more to be able to help you out. Please clarify the following:

1- Did you configure one of the APs as a VC? if you did,  please send me the running-config from the VC so that I can cross-check the configuration.

2- Do you have an SSID configured on both the Root and Non-Root APs for the clients? This SSID will be mapped to 2.4GHz radio since the 5GHz interface is used for the Mesh link. 

3- Did you allow the VLAN used by the client SSID under the MeshConnex Policy?      

4- Is there a Line of Sight between the two APs when you move the non-Root away from the Root AP?

Regards,

Ovais

Hi Ovais, 

1- Did you configure one of the APs as a VC? if you did,  please send me the running-config from the VC so that I can cross-check the configuration.

Yes I configured one AP as a VC. Here is the running config

!
! Configuration of AP7131 version 5.7.1.0-019R
!
!
version 2.4
!
!
client-identity-group default
 load default-fingerprints
!
ip access-list BROADCAST-MULTICAST-CONTROL
 permit tcp any any rule-precedence 10 rule-description "permit all TCP traffic"
 permit udp any eq 67 any eq dhcpc rule-precedence 11 rule-description "permit DHCP replies"
 deny udp any range 137 138 any range 137 138 rule-precedence 20 rule-description "deny windows netbios"
 deny ip any 224.0.0.0/4 rule-precedence 21 rule-description "deny IP multicast"
 deny ip any host 255.255.255.255 rule-precedence 22 rule-description "deny IP local broadcast"
 permit ip any any rule-precedence 100 rule-description "permit all IP traffic"
!
mac access-list PERMIT-ARP-AND-IPv4
 permit any any type ip rule-precedence 10 rule-description "permit all IPv4 traffic"
 permit any any type arp rule-precedence 20 rule-description "permit all ARP traffic"
!
ip snmp-access-list default
 permit any
!
firewall-policy default
 no ip dos tcp-sequence-past-window
 no stateful-packet-inspection-l2
!
!
mint-policy global-default
!
meshpoint-qos-policy default
!
wlan-qos-policy default
 qos trust dscp
 qos trust wmm
!
radio-qos-policy default
!
wlan wlan1
 ssid MySpectrumWiFi21-5G
 vlan 1
 bridging-mode local
 encryption-type none
 authentication-type none
!
meshpoint mymesh
 meshid mymesh
 beacon-format mesh-point
 control-vlan 1
 security-mode none
 root
!
smart-rf-policy default
 no interference-recovery
 no neighbor-recovery
 no coverage-hole-recovery
!
dhcp-server-policy test
 dhcp-pool test
  network 10.0.0.0/24
!
!
management-policy default
 no http server
 https server
 ssh
 user admin password 1 732609aac277bc4ca086fce19641fd265888542905d4fb754e055aa03402dbbc role superuser access all
 snmp-server community 0 private rw
 snmp-server community 0 public ro
 snmp-server user snmptrap v3 encrypted des auth md5 0 admin123
 snmp-server user snmpmanager v3 encrypted des auth md5 0 admin123
!
l2tpv3 policy default
!
profile ap71xx default-ap71xx
 autoinstall configuration
 autoinstall firmware
 crypto ikev1 policy ikev1-default 
  isakmp-proposal default encryption aes-256 group 2 hash sha 
 crypto ikev2 policy ikev2-default 
  isakmp-proposal default encryption aes-256 group 2 hash sha 
 crypto ipsec transform-set default esp-aes-256 esp-sha-hmac
 crypto ikev1 remote-vpn
 crypto ikev2 remote-vpn
 crypto auto-ipsec-secure
 crypto remote-vpn-client
 interface radio1
  wlan wlan1 bss 1 primary
 interface radio2
  channel 36
  data-rates an
  rate-selection opportunistic
  wlan wlan1 bss 1 primary
  meshpoint mymesh bss 2
 interface radio3
 interface ge1
 interface ge2
 interface vlan1
  ip address dhcp
  ip address zeroconf secondary
  ip dhcp client request options all
 interface wwan1
 interface pppoe1
 use firewall-policy default
 use client-identity-group default
 service pm sys-restart
 meshpoint-device mymesh
  root
  monitor primary-port-link action no-root
!
rf-domain default
 country-code us
 use smart-rf-policy default
!
ap71xx FC-0A-81-36-7D-C8
 use profile default-ap71xx
 use rf-domain default
 hostname ap7131-367DC8
 interface vlan1
  description "Virtual Interface for LAN by Wizard"
  ip address dhcp
  ip address zeroconf secondary
  no ip dhcp client request options all
 virtual-controller
 rf-domain-manager capable
 logging on
 logging console warnings
 logging buffered warnings
!
ap71xx FC-0A-81-B7-FA-84
 use profile default-ap71xx
 use rf-domain default
 hostname ap7131-B7FA84
!
!
end

2- Do you have an SSID configured on both the Root and Non-Root APs for the clients? This SSID will be mapped to 2.4GHz radio since the 5GHz interface is used for the Mesh link. 

Yes I have SSID configured. How do I map this SSID to 2.4GHz radio. Do I need to this on both APs ?

3- Did you allow the VLAN used by the client SSID under the MeshConnex Policy?  

I do not see any option under the MeshConnex Policy to allow VLAN used by the client SSID. Please see the picture below.

4- Is there a Line of Sight between the two APs when you move the non-Root away from the Root AP?

There are walls between the APS. 

One thing I have noticed when I am trying to connect to the internet from a client, the client is not getting the ip address from my router. Maybe that is the issue ?

Thanks

Forhad