Establish local / serial management session
The following procedure explains how to set up a serial management session.
This procedure applies to most of the Cabletron Legacy equipment, including the manageable standalone (MicroMMAC/MRXi/SEHi/STHi/TRXi) repeaters, MMAC chassis management boards, SmartSwitch 2000/6000/9000 switches, and the X-Pedition router. It is also applicable to the Matrix DFE, C1, E1, and E5; I-Series, K-Series, S-Series, and RBTSA-AA/AB; among others.
If the device has a RJ45 management port (exception: the X-Pedition has a DB9 console port), then this procedure likely applies.
The key elements for a serial management session are:
- The device to be managed
- A 8-conductor "straight-through" RJ45-to-RJ45 cable
- A "PC Serial Adapter" - see 3377 and 5301 for details.
- A PC with a copy of HyperTerminal, TeraTerm, or similar terminal emulation application.
- Connect all of these together in the order stated. Note that, for the X-Pedition product line (not including the 5SSRM-02/6SSRM-02), also install a "PC Serial Adapter" onto the DB9 console port of the "device to be managed".
- Start the terminal application.
- In the application, select the COM port to which the PC Serial Adapter is attached.
- Configure the application's serial settings to VT100 emulation, 9600 bps, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, Xon/Xoff flow control, no parity.
a couple of times to start the session.