Article ID: 11914
HiPath, CRBT-5110, CRBT-8210, CRBT-8110, C20, C20N, C2400
Moving licenses, What licenses are needed in order for me to move from version 5 to version 6 HiPath software, demo mode, Licensing, License request, Rehosting, Entitlement redemption, HiPath Evaluation Licenses.
HiPath Upgrade Process to V6
The following information is in regards to users who wish to upgrade to HiPath V6 code. In order to complete an upgrade, you must also upgrade your licenses.
Where to request licenses
Upgrade licenses can be requested in the Enterasys Extranet. Go to the Enterasys Extranet and click on the "My Enterasys" menu, "My Licenses" sub-menu option. Click on the HiPath Upgrade Licenses link on the right hand menu column.
What licenses you need and what they look like
When upgrading to version 6, the controller's previous entitlement is maintained. The V5 license file is automatically converted, as part of the upgrade process, to multiple license strings, including external captive portal
Once the upgrade is complete, the wireless controller will enter a seven days grace period during which you will need to apply a V6 permanent regulatory domain activation key.
Permanent activation keys are formatted as follows:
X: Alphanumeric ASCII (0-9, A-Z)
>: NAM | ROW | THA | TWA | JPN | ISR
What information do you need to get a V6 license
In order to request V6 licenses, please have the following information available when filling out the request form:
- Management MAC Address of controller
- Support Contract number
What happens to your previous entitlement
When upgrading to version 6, the controller's previous entitlement is maintained. The V5 license file is automatically converted, as part of the upgrade process, to multiple license strings.
- If you upgrade a C20 controller, its capacity is automatically increased to support up to 32 APs. A C20 capacity upgrade license will be automatically generated during the upgrade.
- If you upgrade a C2400 Campus controller, its capacity is automatically increased to support up to 100 APs. Two wireless controller capacity upgrade licenses will be automatically generated during the upgrade.
- If you upgrade a C2400 Enterprise controller, its capacity is automatically increased to support up to 200 APs. Six wireless controller capacity upgrade licenses will be automatically generated during the upgrade.
If the wireless controller was licensed for external captive portal, a V6 license string will be automatically generated for this entitlement to be carried forward.
Please make sure to make a copy of the licenses created during the upgrade.
Once the upgrade completes, you will need to apply a V6 regulatory domain activation key for the wireless controller to exit the seven days grace period and be permanently licensed for V6.
Where to get the software
Steps to perform the upgrade
To perform the update, follow these basic steps:
- Download the software (as per above)
- Perform software upgrade as per guidelines provided in the wireless controller's maintenance guide located at:
(system will be licensed under a 7 day grace period)
- Request upgrade licenses (as per above)
- Activate and apply license key
HiPath V6 License Process, New Installations
The following information is in regards to new sales of HiPath V6. When you purchase your HiPath Product, you will receive entitlements to licenses.
HiPath licenses are shipped in the form of entitlements. These entitlements need to be redeemed in order to obtain licenses. Entitlement redemption must be done in the Enterasys Extranet. Once logged into the licensing portal on the Extranet, click the "Redeem Entitlements" link in the right hand menu column. Type in the entitlement ID, and a description to help you remember its use.
License activation and generation
License activation can be accessed two ways:
- When redeeming an entitlement, once you submit the page, click on the "Manage this Entitlement" link.
- When logged into the licensing portal on the Extranet, click on the "My License List" link in the right-hand menu column. This displays all of your entitlements. Simply click the entitlement ID you would like to activate. From there, you can activate your entitlement (generate a license key).
To activate Regulatory Domain entitlements, you need to enter the Management MAC Address (eth0) of your wireless controller, along with the country into which the controller and access points will be deployed. For all other licenses, you simply must enter the Management MAC Address.
If you have incorrectly entered the Management MAC Address of the controller, you will be able to 'rehost' the license yourself. Simply follow the same steps as activating your license (you will notice the Activate button now reads Rehost). You are allowed 3 rehosts per entitlement. Once that limit is reached, you must contact GTAC for assistance.
HiPath Evaluation Licenses
HiPath evaluation licenses are self service. Go to the Enterasys Extranet and click on the "My Enterasys" menu, "My Licenses" sub-menu option. Click on the Evaluation Licenses link on the right hand menu column. Once you select a HiPath product, you will receive an email entitlement, and that entitlement will automatically be placed into your "My License List" for activation.. This entitlement can then be redeemed using the procedure described above.
If you have any questions about HiPath product licensing, please contact your regional Enterasys Customer Service representative:
North America Services for NA and LAC:
EMEA Services for EMEA and AP
+353 61 705 567