Matrix N-Series DFE
The DFE product family is a flow-based system.
The system is capable of creating flows at:
- Layer 2 (Source MAC Address with Destination MAC Address, aka "SA/DA")
- Layer 3 (SA/DA; Source IP Address with Destination IP Address, aka "SIP/DIP")
- Layer 4 (SA/DA; SIP/DIP; Destination L4 Port)
- On the N running firmware 6.x and lower; switched traffic defaults to L2 flows while routed traffic defaults to L3 flows.
- On the S/N/K running firmware 7.x and higher; the system defaults to L3 flows if IP information is available (even for switched traffic, as L3 data is used to hash switched traffic across LAGs (12248)).
- For all of the above-stated products and firmware versions; L4 flows are used instead when LSNAT, NAT, TWCB (7110), L4 ACLs, L4 Policy, or Netflow are configured.
It is up to the network administrator to balance network design requirements with available network resources.
See also: 5115 and 6816.