'show switch stack-ports'
Closing the loop on a stack
Up to eight Matrix/SecureStack C3/C2 switches may be combined into one manageable stack, formed by plugging specialized Stacking cables directly into the back of individual Matrix/SecureStack C3/C2 switches (any models, except no more than seven C2G124-48 / C2G124-48P / C2K122-24 may exist in a stack, due to bandwidth concerns), daisy-chaining them together and optionally "closing the loop" for redundancy.
Up to eight SecureStack B3/B2 switches may be combined into one manageable stack, formed by plugging specialized Stacking cables directly into the back of individual SecureStack B3/B2 switches (any models), daisy-chaining them together and optionally "closing the loop" for redundancy.
Within a stack, the individual switch units behave and perform as a single logical switch, having a single configuration which references ports as 'type.unit.port'.
C3/C2 switches cannot be combined with B3/B2 switches to form a single integrated stack, and neither can be stacked with SecureStack A2 switches (5660).
The SecureStack C3/C2 and SecureStack B3/B2 Stacking Cable part numbers are as follows:
- C2CAB-SHORT; 30cm long, for stacking adjacent switches
- C2CAB-LONG; 1m long, for "closing the loop" on stacks up to 8 high
- C2CAB-5M; 5m long, for "closing the loop" on stacks with extra length requirements
"Note: The C2G124-24 supports only the C2CAB-SHORT and C2CAB-LONG stacking cables."
This is due to the hardware design of the C2G124-24, making it incompatible with the C2CAB-5M, with no expectation of change. As long as these two component types are not directly attached, they are compatible within a stack. Directly combining the two component types will result in performance problems, and errors registered in the output of a 'show switch stack-ports' command.
Here are a few cabling scenario examples:
- For a non-redundant two-stack in one cabinet, order one C2CAB-SHORT cable.
- For a redundant eight-stack in one cabinet, order seven C2CAB-SHORT cables and one C2CAB-LONG cable.
- For a redundant eight-stack in two side-by-side cabinets (four units per cabinet), order six C2CAB-SHORT cables and two C2CAB-LONG (or C2CAB-5M) cables.
See also: 5834.