S1, S3, S4, S6, S8
Upgrade the S-Series 1, 3, 4, 6, or 8 slot chassis using a USB drive (aka "USB stick" or "Thumb drive") as a firmware file source.
For USB file transfer:
- Transfer the new firmware file image to a USB drive. For ready identification purposes the standard convention is to name the file as the firmware version it represents (e.g. "7.02.03.0001").
- Plug the USB drive into one of the USB ports on the S-Series chassis (12453), and it will then auto-mount.
- Display the location and name of the firmware file you wish to copy from the USB drive to the system ('dir slotx/usb2', 12452).
- Copy the firmware file from the USB drive to the S-Series images directory ('copy slotx/usb2/<USB filename> <same Image filename>'). The system identifies it as a firmware file by its header, and places it into the images directory of all slot modules in the distributed system/chassis. If instead the user specifies a destination directory (e.g. slotx), the file will be treated as would a configuration file (12452), and cannot be used as a boot image from that location.
- Confirm that the file now resides as one of the "Images:" on the S-Series ('dir', 12452).
- Remove the USB drive from the S-Series port as desired.
- Set the new system image file as the source of the next boot image ('set boot system <Image filename>').
- When asked if a reset is desired, answer yes or no. The upgrade will only occur upon reset.