Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

Buying used switch on ebay, howto get updates?

I'm looking to buy an used Summit x440-24t switch on ebay. Is it possible to get updates to this switch without a support contract?

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi Fred,

We do not support any products purchased through ebay!
We only provide warranty service to the original purchaser.
And without maintenance contract we do not provide any firmware to customers

Regards
Engin
Userlevel 6
You can download the firmware for X440 (generaton 1) only with valid service contract.
Thanks for info and straighten things out. So its more or less no meaning in buying used extreme network gear if you aren't willing to pay for service contract or accept not updated equipment then.

Rgds
Userlevel 6
I would not be so general with such statement. The X440G1 is not the latest product. The G2 products do have different warranty conditions. Another reason for use of old equipment will be if you already have X440 and you want to extend the stack...
Good point there Pala. Maybe look into something newer and more updated then if buying used equipment.
Userlevel 6
Pala I am mistaken in thinking at one time Extreme offered an inspection/re-certification of used gear if you wanted to put used gear into a current service contract??
Userlevel 6
As far as I know this still can be done. The original post from Fred mentioned "without service contract". It Fred is ok to buy the service contract then the situation is completely different. As long as the product is not end-of-support... In case of need the support contract, please contact local sales team.
Userlevel 7
Pala, Zdenek wrote:

As far as I know this still can be done. The original post from Fred mentioned "without service contract". It Fred is ok to buy the service contract then the situation is completely different. As long as the product is not end-of-support... In case of need the support contract, please contact local sales team.

You are correct, there is still a process for getting service contracts on gray-market product. Going through the local sales team is the process for this.

Also, note that the warranty is non-transferable, so there would not be any hardware coverage on gray-market products as well, even on products with limited-lifetime warranties.