Question

Chromecast with WC4110 controller and AP3610


Up until recently we had no problems with Chromecast devices. I now have two seperate sites that are reporting they can't get their Chromecast device to work. Does anyone know how the VNS should be configured to support Chromecast? Again, this was working and now is not.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Are you allowing UPnP 239.255.255.250 under the multicast tab located in the topology you are using? Also can you provide the code you are seeing issues with?
Userlevel 4
Hello Scot,

did you change the configuration or upgraded the controller to an new firmware release? I think chromecast needs multicast support enabled. This is by default disabled.

What firmware release do you use?

In newer release notes I've readed that you have to create multicast handling rules/policies to make multicast work.

Best Regards
Hartmut
Userlevel 7
It's like Bonjour service and uses multicast so you need to have it in the same VLAN.
Might be that this dicussion is helpful ...
https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/bonjour_traffic_airplay

So if you bridge the Chromcast client with a bridge@AP topology into the same VLAN as the stream source with a role contain to VLAN X and allow everything it should work.
Ron wrote:

It's like Bonjour service and uses multicast so you need to have it in the same VLAN.
Might be that this dicussion is helpful ...
https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/bonjour_traffic_airplay

So if you bridge the Chromcast client with a bridge@AP topology into the same VLAN as the stream source with a role contain to VLAN X and allow everything it should work.

yes, this is how I have it set up. B@AP and using bonjour. I also just added UPnP as suggested above.
The firmware version is 09.01.02.0017. We're scheduled to upgrade to the latest on Saturday.

The only multicast I had set up was mDNS/Bonjour and that seemed to work. I just added the one that Doug suggests and am asking the users to test. We'll see.

And yes, the underlying switching infrastructure is also set up to handle multicasting.
Userlevel 4
Scott Van Artsdalen wrote:

The firmware version is 09.01.02.0017. We're scheduled to upgrade to the latest on Saturday.

The only multicast I had set up was mDNS/Bonjour and that seemed to work. I just added the one that Doug suggests and am asking the users to test. We'll see.

And yes, the underlying switching infrastructure is also set up to handle multicasting.

Take a look in the release note of 9.01.x. There are definitley some changes in multicast handling (found 3 notes). Did you use the 8.32.x firmware before the upgrade?
Scott Van Artsdalen wrote:

The firmware version is 09.01.02.0017. We're scheduled to upgrade to the latest on Saturday.

The only multicast I had set up was mDNS/Bonjour and that seemed to work. I just added the one that Doug suggests and am asking the users to test. We'll see.

And yes, the underlying switching infrastructure is also set up to handle multicasting.

Well we did at some point. 🙂 We've upgraded firmware several times this year at vendor's request.
Userlevel 4
Scott Van Artsdalen wrote:

The firmware version is 09.01.02.0017. We're scheduled to upgrade to the latest on Saturday.

The only multicast I had set up was mDNS/Bonjour and that seemed to work. I just added the one that Doug suggests and am asking the users to test. We'll see.

And yes, the underlying switching infrastructure is also set up to handle multicasting.

Tomorrow i have to update a customer installation from 8.32.x to 9.12.x, too. Hopefully with no issues 😉
Does multicast bridging have to be enabled? Switches I understand but this wireless stuff...
Userlevel 7
Yes, you will need to turn that on. It's the global enable.
Userlevel 7
For anyone watching this or for future reference...

Issue: UPNP Multicast group used by chromecast not permitted by default

Resolution: Enable multicast group 239.255.255.250 on the wireless controller from the Web GUI with the following process:
  1. Click Controller > Network > Topologies
  2. Click the Topology Chromecast is connected to
  3. Click Multicast filters tab
  4. Click Multicast Bridging check box
  5. Click IP group Radio button and add 239.255.255.250/32
  6. Click Save
Userlevel 4
Doug wrote:

For anyone watching this or for future reference...

Issue: UPNP Multicast group used by chromecast not permitted by default

Resolution: Enable multicast group 239.255.255.250 on the wireless controller from the Web GUI with the following process:

  1. Click Controller > Network > Topologies
  2. Click the Topology Chromecast is connected to
  3. Click Multicast filters tab
  4. Click Multicast Bridging check box
  5. Click IP group Radio button and add 239.255.255.250/32
  6. Click Save

Hello Doug,
i think it would be great if Extreme provide some updated guides to related the topics like multicast, bonjour, mDNS, UPNP and so on. Did see many question in the forum related to this in the past. IPv6, too.

Are there still new tech transfers for partners in the intranet?
Userlevel 7
Doug wrote:

For anyone watching this or for future reference...

Issue: UPNP Multicast group used by chromecast not permitted by default

Resolution: Enable multicast group 239.255.255.250 on the wireless controller from the Web GUI with the following process:

  1. Click Controller > Network > Topologies
  2. Click the Topology Chromecast is connected to
  3. Click Multicast filters tab
  4. Click Multicast Bridging check box
  5. Click IP group Radio button and add 239.255.255.250/32
  6. Click Save

I can find out.
Userlevel 1
Hi Scott,
Could you solve this problem? I'm also experiencing the same kind of issue related to multicasting. Only one site has this problem which was working fine previously. How did you solve your problem?
Thank you very much in advance.

Reply