Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

Clients can't connect to wifi because or RADAR rule but there is no message in the log or reports

• 26 February 2015
  • 8 replies

Hi,
We have 3705i AP's with C25 wifi controller and radar.
One of the prevention rules prevented making a connection to the wifi.
That's not the main problem but the laptop couldn't connect to the wifi and I got the message in windows that the key was not correct.
The problem was one of the prevention rules in RADAR.
As soon as I unclick that prevention rule or disable RADAR on that AP, I have my connection back.

It's not a big problem that this happens but it is more a problem that I don't see in the reports or in the logs that a computer can't connect.

I checked the RADAR reports but couldn't find anything about it, the same for the controller logs.
Am I looking in the wrong place ? What log or report should I check ?

thanks,
Philippe.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Could you please tell us which rule exactly was disabled to solve the problem.
The rule was:
Prevent authorized stations from roaming to external honeypot APs
Userlevel 7
Verus,

If you have some time I would suggest you contact us here in the GTAC and we will gladly take a look at this for you.

http://www.extremenetworks.com/support/contact
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Do I have to call the contact center in Belgium or to US ?
thanks,
Philippe.
Apparently it has nothing to do with the prevention rules.
This is what I test:

I am configured with my laptop to the wifi (3705i), with radar license and all rules on except "Prevent any station from using an internal honeypot AP".

I disconnect the UTP cable from the 3705i AP and then I connect my laptop to another AP (other branch, it's a netgear cheap AP we use for testing also in the network).
Then I reconnect the 3705i again and I try to connect to it's SSD again and I am unable to connect, without a specific reason.

When I disable ALL radar prevention rules and I do the same test, result is the same.

Only when I DISABLE radar on that AP, then I can reconnect to that ap again.

I don't see anything in the logs, I can disassociate my computer from the AP and then it comes in the list again with client IP "N/A"

When RADAR is disabled and I simulate this test again, I can connect without a problem so it must have something to do with radar.
Since all prevention rules are disabled, this might be a bug maybe ?
I did some more tests with the detection and prevention rules and apparently I get the windows message "Can't connect to this network" only when the detection rule "Classify sources of interference" is turned on.

When that rule is turned off, I don't get this problem and I can reconnect straight away.

Userlevel 7
This issue will be corrected in build 9.15.04 or higher. It should be posted on our extranet download site today or tomorrow the latest.

Thanks,

Doug
ok thanks.