EXOS Non-Extreme Optics Licensing

Userlevel 1
  • 76 replies
Is this related to 3 party gbics / transceivers?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Ted,

The third party optics software licenses are platform specific licenses that are required to fully utilize 40G/100G third party optic.

-Andrew
Userlevel 1
I was a bit confused on this one. Is there any reason I have to buy Extreme gbics as opposed to a different set?
Userlevel 4
Ted wrote:

I was a bit confused on this one. Is there any reason I have to buy Extreme gbics as opposed to a different set?

The third party 40G/100G optics are likely tested. This will come at a greater cost than testing Extreme Networks branded 40G/100G.
Userlevel 1
Ted wrote:

Andrew what about 1G gibics/transceivers. We don't have 40G/100G gear yet.
Userlevel 4
Ted wrote:

No license is needed for third party 1G transceivers.

Userlevel 1
Ted wrote:

Thanks Andrew, we just ordered Extreme gbics but wanted the clarification it.
I hate to reply to a 2 month old thread, but I also hate to start a new thread on the same subject.

Is there any reason to not use generic (in this case, Finisar) 10Gbit SFP+ optics? Beyond the obvious EN won't support them answer?

The Extreme Networks branded optics at >$1000. The same model number (Minus the -EX suffix), Finisar branded optics are $180.

It's hard to justify spending >$1000 for a single optic when you can buy the same thing for <$200.