Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

used x250e console login

I bought a x250e for my home to play around with when I connect to the console with putty I do not see the configuration startup like I am used to with cisco products can anyone tell me what I am missing or should be doing?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi I'll assume you've verified all the COM ports to use and have properly initiated a Console session and hit the enter key a few times. That said, what are the specs of the serial cable and converter you're using. I have just tested the standard Cisco RJ-45 to DB9 Console cable, and connected it to my Laptop using a Prolific Serial to USB cable and it works just fine. Extreme switches should easily connect with any standard console cable that has the following pinouts:

DB9 F: Pin 1, 3, 5 (10, 30, 50 (Black, Yellow, Green)) and on the RG45 side: Pin 3, 5, 5 (Blalck, Green, Yello) or . Obviously you won't be able to see the pinouts on a the DB9 side, but you should be able to confirm that they are as above on the RG-45 Side.
Just to clarify here, from the Summit lineup the X150, X250e, X350, X450/a/e, X460, and X650 all use a null modem cable. 9600 baud, 8, N, 1.
Most Cisco switches use a rollover style cable (with RJ45). Newer Extreme products with the RJ45 connector also use the rollover cable.

Doug, after giving the switch a few minutes to boot, what's the frequency of the management LED flashing on the front of the switch? Here's why I'm asking:
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/summit/Summit_Family_HW_Install/Switch_ovrvu/r_summit-x250e-series-switch-leds.shtml
Userlevel 5
Hi I'll assume you've verified all the COM ports to use and have properly initiated a Console session and hit the enter key a few times. That said, what are the specs of the serial cable and converter you're using. I have just tested the standard Cisco RJ-45 to DB9 Console cable, and connected it to my Laptop using a Prolific Serial to USB cable and it works just fine. Extreme switches should easily connect with any standard console cable that has the following pinouts:

DB9 F: Pin 1, 3, 5 (10, 30, 50 (Black, Yellow, Green)) and on the RG45 side: Pin 3, 5, 5 (Blalck, Green, Yello) or . Obviously you won't be able to see the pinouts on a the DB9 side, but you should be able to confirm that they are as above on the RG-45 Side.
yes it works fine with cisco
Userlevel 4
does the same usb to serial cable in your laptop work with other switches.?[cisco].
If yes either switch console cable is wrong or switch is faulty.
I rebooted while putty is active the settings are 9600/8/1/none/xon/xoff im using serial to usb. Nothing comes up in the putty window. I don't have a serial port on my laptop so I won't be able to use 2 DB9 connected by an ethernet cable
Userlevel 4
If we are using right cables and if the switch doesnt respond .
you have every rights to get a new one for this faulty switch.
and thank you for your help
I will track a couple down tomorrow if that doesnt work any other suggestions ?

Userlevel 4
Try to connect again make sure the hyperterminal/putty session is set to default values.
reboot the switch while console is connected to see the messages.
Userlevel 4
we used to provide console cable [purple] when you buy the switch.
If not try to use DB9 connectors .use RJ45 cable to connect two DB9 connectors.
no it didd not come with it. Its blue on both ends with a silver cable connecting them

If summit has a specific cable, I did not know that.
Userlevel 4
Did the console cable came with the switch.is it purple in colour?
I didnt know their could be a wrong one. Its a 9 pin usb serial converter

Userlevel 4
Hi Doug,
Could you check if you are using the right console cable.
if yes then when you reboot do u see anything in the console?

Regards,
Parthiban Chinnaya