Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

X440G2 Very High Temperature

Userlevel 3
Hi,

I have installed an X440G2-48t-10G4 running XOS 21.1.1.4 in one of our refrigerated Data Centre cabinets but the reported temperature is 90 degrees!

The show temp output reports this as in the 'Normal' range but it seems very hot to me for a switch in a 25 degree cabinet.

Should I be concerned about this?

# sh temp
Field Replaceable Units Temp (C) Status Min Normal Max
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Switch : X440G2-48t-10G4 90.00 Normal 0 10-100 110
NET-ESX440-01-MOWAg24.10 #

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi,

a value of 90°C seems very hot to me, too. Could this value be mistakenly in Fahrenheit? That would be 32°C, which would be a more reasonable value.

I assume the rack is not on fire, the airflow is not restricted, and other devices in there report sensible temperature values.

Did you check that the switch's fans work, and that the switch does not take in the hot exhaust air of other devices in the rack, e.g. servers, or from neighboring racks? But even in that case, 90°C seems too hot.

Perhaps the temperature sensor in this switch is faulty, do you have more of those switches with the same firmware version you could use for comparison?

HTH,
Erik
Userlevel 3
Thanks Erik, yes I've checked all the normal things - the fans are working, there's another switch just above it, an x670G2, reporting internal temps of 60 (still warm I think, but not too worrying).

Maybe the X440s just run hotter?
Userlevel 3
oh, it's also not on fire... 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi,

just for comparison, two SummitX450e in a temperature controlled server room I can check show about 31°C resp. 33°C. An different vendor's switch in the same rack shows values between 25°C and 61°C for various temperature sensors. An 800-Series switch providing some PoE in a different server room shows 50°C. Another pair of different switches in the same rack shows temperature values between 24°C and 40°C for a range of different temperature sensors. An X460-G2 in the same room, but another rack, shows 58°C. An SSA in a neighboring rack shows between 27°C and 36°C for its temperature sensors.

EXOS reports just one temperature value for the switch, but the location of the sensor is important to understand what is measured. A 90°C measurement could be normal for an X440-G2, but that seems suprising to me. Perhaps Extreme can add some info.

Erik
Userlevel 7
Hi Stephen,
Take a look at this article: Normal operating temperature range for a Summit x460-G2 / x670-G2 / x440-G2
I checked a couple of X440-G2s in our lab and the highest temperature I see on one of them is 75°C. One thing different about most of the G2 series switches is that chip temperature is being measured instead of ambient temperature, which will lead to higher than expected readings. While I agree that 90°C seems to be on the high side of normal, it would be expected if if the switch is under load.
Userlevel 3
that's very helpful... thanks all....
Userlevel 6
going to show you some of ours that we have deployed in telco building closets.....Out of 10 switches highest was the 80 lowest was 73.... 100 and below is considered within normal operating temps...

* PLW_X440_1301Franklin_GHC911.1 # sh tempField Replaceable Units Temp (C) Status Min Normal Max
Switch : X440G2-24t-G4 80.00 Normal 0 10-100 110

PLW_X440_FBCSheriff_GHC911.1 # sh tempField Replaceable Units Temp (C) Status Min Normal Max
Switch : X440G2-24t-G4 75.00 Normal 0 10-100 110