Solved

XMC script stops -> "Error: session exceeded timeout: 30 secs"

• 10 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hello,

I am running a XMC script to receive the output of show config/sh run against different devices:

XOS, VSP, EOS (B-Series, S-Series, ...).

cli_result = emc_cli.send("sh config")
    wfile(devname,cli_result.getOutput())

It works fine except if I started the script with the S-Series. Whit S-Series I receive a 

"Error: session exceeded timeout: 30 secs"

In difference to the other devices a “show conf” on CLI lasts more the 30 seconds (approximatly 55 seconds). I think thats the problem here.

I tried to cover that with a change to:

cli_result = emc_cli.send("sh config, True, 80")
    wfile(devname,cli_result.getOutput())

In my opinion this should lead the script to wait for 80 secondes for a response of the send commend.

But there is no difference. I receive the same error. The hole script timeout is larger than the 120 seconds and should not be a problem here.

My questions. 

1. Is it correct that a emc_cli.send("sh config, True, 80") leads the script to wait for 80 secondes for an answer?

2. Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Best regards

Stephan

icon

Best answer by Stephane Grosjean 23 June 2020, 13:13

Hi,

I just found that Scripting forum!

If this is still a topic, I *think* the timeout you are setting (80) is for the CLI command, but there’s also a Script Timeout in XMC. You may need to tweak it also…

There’s a key in the emc_vars dictionary for that (scriptTimeout).

You can also add a session timeout in the code, like so:

# update the session timeout in seconds

emc_cli.setSessionTimeout(60)

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4

Make sure that XMC can login correctly (without requiring user/password) to the S-Series; right click the device and run Terminal against it.

Another thing to consider is disabling more paging on the device, before you dump the config. XMC has a CLIrules.xml file to work out how to handle a more prompt per device type, but maybe it is getting mixed up on your S-series ? Best is to disable more paging on the device upfront, before executing and show commands.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hello Ludovico,

thank you for your answer. 

• CLI paging is disabled (with “set length 0”) and tested.
  • The access (user/pw) works fine to.
  • If I do a “show vlan” it works as expected.

This is why I think there is a relation with time needed for the “show Config” output.

Best regards

Stephan

Userlevel 7

Hi,

I just found that Scripting forum!

If this is still a topic, I *think* the timeout you are setting (80) is for the CLI command, but there’s also a Script Timeout in XMC. You may need to tweak it also…

There’s a key in the emc_vars dictionary for that (scriptTimeout).

You can also add a session timeout in the code, like so:

# update the session timeout in seconds

emc_cli.setSessionTimeout(60)

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hello Stephane,

yes it's still a topic but in another application. I will try your hints.

My inital problem with S-Serie was caused by the small "buffer" in workflows. Therefore I can't read the hole config.

Thank you very much.

Stephan