Header Only - DO NOT REMOVE - Extreme Networks

SummitStack-V & 1000BaseT SFPs?

The datasheet for the Summit X440-G2 series states

"SummitStack-V allows use of standard 10Gb Ethernet cabling and optics technologies"

Does this include the pre-terminated 10GBase-CR twin-ax cables (10304, 10305, 10306 & 10307)? I am trying to cost up a small solution and need to stack four X440-G2-12p-10GE4 switches.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Yes. You can stack stackable 440-G2 with any other stackable summit over any supported 10G interface. That include the direct attach cables.

There is a limitation that all devices must run the same version of firmware, and the cable must be supported.

There are 4 10G capable ports on The model you mentioned. Two of those ports can be used for stacking. No license is needed for stacking.

Regards..
Userlevel 6
Pala, Zdenek wrote:

Yes. You can stack stackable 440-G2 with any other stackable summit over any supported 10G interface. That include the direct attach cables.

There is a limitation that all devices must run the same version of firmware, and the cable must be supported.

There are 4 10G capable ports on The model you mentioned. Two of those ports can be used for stacking. No license is needed for stacking.

Regards..

The stacking is over 10G. Not over 1G. The subject of the post should have one zero more 🙂
Pala, Zdenek wrote:

Regards..

Yes, sorry I was multitasking and typed the wrong thing in the title.... Thanks for the information though, this is exactly what I was after.
Userlevel 1
10GB-ZR-SFPP

P/N for a 10GB 80KM SFP+

i believe above can be used for ports
Userlevel 6
Aleixo Gomes wrote:

10GB-ZR-SFPP

P/N for a 10GB 80KM SFP+

based on hardware installation guide = http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/summit/downloads/SummitFamily_HW_Install_EXOS21.pdf = long-distance stacking connectivity of up to 40 km

Connectivity is ok on 10GB-ZR-SFPP, but stacking can be tricky.
Userlevel 7
Aleixo Gomes wrote:

10GB-ZR-SFPP

P/N for a 10GB 80KM SFP+

I believe this 40Km limit is because the documentation has not been updated since the introduction of ZR/DWDM SFP+.
Userlevel 3
I have to reply to this question to avoid people making the same mistake as me due to misleading and limited information from ExtremeNetworks.

X440-G2 10G ports on the front are PHYLESS. So DAC cable for Summit-V only supports up to 3m. (10304 and 10305).

Good Luck.
Userlevel 6
Mel78, CISSP, ECE wrote:

I have to reply to this question to avoid people making the same mistake as me due to misleading and limited information from ExtremeNetworks.

X440-G2 10G ports on the front are PHYLESS. So DAC cable for Summit-V only supports up to 3m. (10304 and 10305).

Good Luck.

Hi.

can you please specify the source of this? I have not found such information in Datasheet nor in hardware installation guide.

if the 10306 is really not supported then we need to update documentation.

Thank you for cooperation.

Z.
Userlevel 3
Mel78, CISSP, ECE wrote:

Good Luck.

Hi,

From below for X460-G2. But it is all similar to other G2 platform on its front panel 10G ports. That is the thing i hate about the documentation, it is not clear at all platforms.

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/Are-the-5-meter-and-10-meter-passive-copper-c...
Userlevel 6
Mel78, CISSP, ECE wrote:

Good Luck.

I would be very careful assuming that something is valid for X440-G2 based on knowledgebase for X460-G2... The X460-G2 does have quite clearly stated in http://learn.extremenetworks.com/rs/extreme/images/Summit-X460-G2-DS.pdf what transceiver is supported in what port. If needed we I can ask the product management for compatibility test. 10m is not supported. 1 and 3 meters is supported...
Userlevel 6
Please check the datasheet and hardware installation guide.

The 10307 is Supported on 48 port 10GbE ports only = will not work in your 12port version.