cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the 'add' option actually do anything in 'vlan members add'?

Does the 'add' option actually do anything in 'vlan members add'?

Jon_P
New Contributor III

Hi,

Is there any actual difference between the following commands:

vlan members 1234 1/20

vlan members add 1234 1/20

Leaving out add doesn't seem to result is any other VLANs being removed from the port, or any other ports being removed from the VLAN, so am I right in thinking that 'add' is completely redundant here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

You are both right, what Jon_P states is what happens on VOSS CLI; what ed_zubricas states is what happens on ERS stackables CLI.

I personally disliked the ERS CLI behaviour, as I would often forget to include the "add" and would end up wiping away all my VLAN port members!

I prefer the VOSS CLI approach, that will never remove any ports from that VLAN membership, even if "add" is omitted.

On VOSS CLI only the "vlan members remove <vid> <ports>" will remove ports.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

You are both right, what Jon_P states is what happens on VOSS CLI; what ed_zubricas states is what happens on ERS stackables CLI.

I personally disliked the ERS CLI behaviour, as I would often forget to include the "add" and would end up wiping away all my VLAN port members!

I prefer the VOSS CLI approach, that will never remove any ports from that VLAN membership, even if "add" is omitted.

On VOSS CLI only the "vlan members remove <vid> <ports>" will remove ports.

ed_zubrickas
New Contributor III

BIG difference!

"Vlan members 1234 1/20" replaces the current members list with 1/20.

If VLAN 1234 were on ANY other ports, vlan 1234 would be removed from those ports.

"Vlan members add 1234 1/20" preserves current port membership while adding 1/20.

Jon_P
New Contributor III

I posted in the VSP/Fabric engine section - does the behaviour you describe happen on that OS?

GTM-P2G8KFN