Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSP - unable send traps to XMC SNMPv3

VSP - unable send traps to XMC SNMPv3

EF
Contributor II
Hi team,

I´m unable recive traps in the XMC server form VSPs, and in the VSP logs I can see:

SNMP ERROR Failed to create trap (Reason=Failed to create v3 trap) for host A.B.C.D:162

Any idea?

Regards,

EF
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

csantos
New Contributor III

Hi,

About this, I’ve reach out the support team and now the SNMP traps on my VSPs devices are working fine.

So, first, I’ve configured a loopback IP address (CLIP) on the switch to use it as the SNMP sender source. On the VOSS CLI reference doc (https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/VOSS/SW/71x/9035528_CLIRefVOSS_7.1_CRG.pdf), page 2110, it says that the IP SNMP sender source should be a CLIP address. If is not a CLIP address, then the config snmp-server force-trap-sender enable will be ignored and the switch automatically uses the IP address of the logical interface that is closest (from the perspective of the routing table). If the reachability to the SNMP server is over an IS-IS/SPB IP shortcut NNI, the switch automatically uses the IS-IS IP source address and the settings from this command are ignored.

After this, I was able to use the command snmp-sever force-trap-sender enable properly. So, my snmp config, look like this:

------------------------------------------

snmp-server contact "Contact"

snmp-server location "Location"

snmp-server authentication-trap enable

snmp-server force-iphdr-sender enable

snmp-server sender-ip <XMC Server IP> <CLIP address of the switch>

snmp-server force-trap-sender enable

snmp-server user user_xmc group "xmcgroup"

snmp-server view "xmc_read" 1

snmp-server view "xmc_write" 1

snmp-server view "xmc_notify" 1

snmp-server group "xmcgroup" "" auth-priv read-view xmc_read write-view xmc_write notify-view root

snmp-server group "user_xmc" "" auth-priv read-view xmc_read write-view xmc_write notify-view xmc_notify

snmp-server host <XMC server IP> v3 authPriv user_xmc inform

After this config, I was able to see traffic on the tcpdump capture coming through port 162 (SNMP traps) to the XMC from the VSP.

At last I removed the VSP switches from XMC and added them again using the CLIP address. 

I hope this helps someone else.

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

csantos
New Contributor III

Hi,

About this, I’ve reach out the support team and now the SNMP traps on my VSPs devices are working fine.

So, first, I’ve configured a loopback IP address (CLIP) on the switch to use it as the SNMP sender source. On the VOSS CLI reference doc (https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/VOSS/SW/71x/9035528_CLIRefVOSS_7.1_CRG.pdf), page 2110, it says that the IP SNMP sender source should be a CLIP address. If is not a CLIP address, then the config snmp-server force-trap-sender enable will be ignored and the switch automatically uses the IP address of the logical interface that is closest (from the perspective of the routing table). If the reachability to the SNMP server is over an IS-IS/SPB IP shortcut NNI, the switch automatically uses the IS-IS IP source address and the settings from this command are ignored.

After this, I was able to use the command snmp-sever force-trap-sender enable properly. So, my snmp config, look like this:

snmp-server contact "Contact"

snmp-server location "Location"

snmp-server authentication-trap enable

snmp-server force-iphdr-sender enable

snmp-server sender-ip <XMC Server IP> <CLIP address of the switch>

snmp-server force-trap-sender enable

snmp-server view "xmc_read" 1

snmp-server view "xmc_write" 1

snmp-server view "xmc_notify" 1

snmp-server group "xmcgroup" "" auth-priv read-view xmc_read write-view xmc_write notify-view root

snmp-server group "user_xmc" "" auth-priv read-view xmc_read write-view xmc_write notify-view xmc_notify

snmp-server host <XMC server IP> v3 authPriv user_xmc inform

After this config, I was able to see traffic on the tcpdump capture coming through port 162 (SNMP traps) to the XMC from the VSP.

At last I removed the VSP switches from XMC and added them again using the CLIP address. 

I hope this helps someone else.

Regards

csantos
New Contributor III

Hi Peter,

Actually I’ve already tried with snmp traps. The problem remains. 

The use of informs is what we get when on XMC we select the “Register Trap Receiver”. Basically, the XMC sets the configuration of the snmp-server and it uses informs instead of traps.

The most annoying thing is that on XMC I cannot see any incoming traffic on port 162 from my VSPs. I see from my EXOS stacks, but not from my VSPs. So, I think is clearly something related with the VOSS configuration or the software version.

PeterK
Contributor II

Hi Cesar,

I’m currently not 100% sure, but It looks like you have configured to send informs and not traps.

I personally use traps, because I never got informs running with netsight.

csantos
New Contributor III

Hi Zdenek,

I’m having the exact same issue and I’ve tried your way, commands by that order. The VSP still does not send Traps to the XMC.

This is my config.

eb385813980b403c8713d5403335e647_3666b6a3-de9c-4bb6-91d1-600c7b1242fd.png

When I disable a link on a device connected to this VSP, I’m still not able to see any traffic coming on XMC (port 162), using the tcpdump command.

Also, you can see that I’ve enabled the Link-status trap.

eb385813980b403c8713d5403335e647_b85d6f03-fc11-4580-909d-087a6d003f2b.png

So, any ideas on this?

Regards,

César Santos

GTM-P2G8KFN