cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Can i use same Access point 250 on 2 different Hivemanagers ? i mean can i add this AP to my cloud Hivmanager which i am using in my lab, then go for customer implementation and add this same AP to his on-prem Hivemanager ? Thanks

Can i use same Access point 250 on 2 different Hivemanagers ? i mean can i add this AP to my cloud Hivmanager which i am using in my lab, then go for customer implementation and add this same AP to his on-prem Hivemanager ? Thanks

s_kiwan
New Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello,

When an AP turns on with Default-Settings (ie. No capwap or config), it will send out a Layer2 Broadcast to see if there is a Local Hivemanager it can capwap to.

If it gets a response locally, it will capwap to the On-Premise instance and require a complete configuration update.

If it does not get a response locally, it will reach out to our redirector, where it will be assigned to a hivemanager IF the serial number is added to an Online Instance.

So best practice would be:

1. Removing the AP's Serial number from the Online Instance and Resetting AP to default setting.
  2. Deploying the AP in the on-prem instance's network. (It will auto capwap, or you can manually capwap)
  3. Pushing the complete configuration to the AP from the On-Prem's network policy.

Ultimately, when moving an AP from one Hivemanager to another (any online or onprem) the AP will require a complete configuration so that it can properly work with the rest of the Hive.

Please advise if this was helpful, if you have further questions, or if there is anything I could do to assist. 

Happy to assist,

David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

s_kiwan
New Contributor

That was very helpful thank you. i will start my project in the coming week, i have to implement, i won't hesitate to contact your kind assistance.

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello,

When an AP turns on with Default-Settings (ie. No capwap or config), it will send out a Layer2 Broadcast to see if there is a Local Hivemanager it can capwap to.

If it gets a response locally, it will capwap to the On-Premise instance and require a complete configuration update.

If it does not get a response locally, it will reach out to our redirector, where it will be assigned to a hivemanager IF the serial number is added to an Online Instance.

So best practice would be:

1. Removing the AP's Serial number from the Online Instance and Resetting AP to default setting.
  2. Deploying the AP in the on-prem instance's network. (It will auto capwap, or you can manually capwap)
  3. Pushing the complete configuration to the AP from the On-Prem's network policy.

Ultimately, when moving an AP from one Hivemanager to another (any online or onprem) the AP will require a complete configuration so that it can properly work with the rest of the Hive.

Please advise if this was helpful, if you have further questions, or if there is anything I could do to assist. 

Happy to assist,

David

s_kiwan
New Contributor

Appreciate this detailed answer! but just to clarify the scenario, its 2 separated different locations. what i am planning for is to add an AP 250 to my virtual Hivemanager in my lab to configure it make it ready and then go to my customer network and add this AP on his (on-prem) Hivemanage. can i do it ? or the serial of the AP can only be added once and on one Hivemanager? i am asking about this since i have an old AP 330 i tried to add it to my cloud hivmanager, its rejecting with a reason that this AP has already been added to another HM (don't remember the exact words) but in a meaning that its already used.

GeorgiaMason
Contributor II

Technically you can, but it will cause problems. First, you'd be wasting two keys on one AP. Even if the device is disconnected from the manager, if it's still in the device inventory, it's taking one of your AP slots as far as your entitlement key is concerned. Additionally, the AP will not know where to connect. It will move between the two managers, and just by Murphy's Law, it will likely try to connect to the manager you don't want it in at that particular moment. Unless you're willing to manually CAPWAP the AP every time you need to use it (and even then it will likely keep switching), this will probably cause more trouble that it's worth. Removing an AP from the device inventory, adding it to the correct manager's inventory, and rebooting the AP is probably a better/faster way to do this.

GTM-P2G8KFN