cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to restrict an SSID to 5 GHz only in a mixed AP environment?

Is there a way to restrict an SSID to 5 GHz only in a mixed AP environment?

aerohive_suppo2
New Contributor

Environment is Urban, High Density, Education with BYOD devices, 99% Apple Mac and iOS.

To reduce Support calls in this type of environment I typically build the SSIDs for Teaching and Learning to be 5GHz only.  (as 2.4 GHz has so much CCI and neighbour interference as to be basically very low bandwidth)

Normally i configure a Teaching SSID to appear on Wifi1 only

I want to use AP250s in this environment in order to introduce additional 5GHz capacity (using 20MHz channels and DFS)

In order for the AP250 to transmit the SSIDs on WiFi0 I have to change the Teaching SSID so that it is available on both radios.

I then have to reconfigure the Wifi0 interface on each  AP230 (i.e. 2.4GHz) so that it does not include the Teaching SSID.

Manual intervention, one by one, or supplemental CLI

Is there a better method?

(I tried cloning the SSID and applying it to the AP250s through a CCG, but the Policy will not allow two SSIDs with the same name (even on different radios) )

2 REPLIES 2

reinhardg
Contributor II

And if you want to use wifi0 of your AP250s always with 5 GHz you can set the operating mode to 5 GHz in your device template.

reinhardg
Contributor II

In the configuration of a SSID you can decide whether it shall be broadcasted in both bands or 5 GHz only.

GTM-P2G8KFN