Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PoE redundancy of the AP550

PoE redundancy of the AP550

nicolasw
New Contributor

Hi,

After reading through the SpecSheet of the AP550, I assumed that the "PoE redundancy" meant a seemless transistion from one port to the other in case of a failure. However, during testing I found out that this wasn´t the case.

My setup had been two PoE connections between the AP550 and a Dell

N1124P-ON. Whenever I removed the cable, the AP was currently using for

PoE,

the device lost its power for a second and booted up again afterwards.

Is this the normal behaviour of the AP or is there some configuration I

have to do before hand?

Thanks in Advance,

Nicolas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello Nicolas,

I wanted to be 100% before commenting, so I ran a test in the Lab.

I wouldn't conclude that any additional configuration is required. My AP550 exhibited the same behavior as yours.

ETH0 Power was disconnected, so the AP powered down for 1-3 seconds before it powered back up.

The AP was serving the SSID within the first minute with network connectivity for Client Devices.

So there was a tiny blip, but the fail-over to PoE from ETH1 was successful.

Please note, all Client-Connectivity and AP functionality was as-expected, and is almost always restored before the Hivemanager GUI can report this to be true.

Hope this helps,

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Hi, just to add that I have repeated the same tests using an AP650. After removing the eth0 int with poe, the failover to eth1 for the SSID to be back up is 2’20” . And same time for the other eth int.

Also found it makes no difference to the failover times when the eth ints are bound to red0.

Interested to know if there is an advantage in applying the red0 mode?

nicolasw
New Contributor

Hello David,

Thank you for your answer. I already expected that this would be the case.

Maybe I´m just a little bit too spoiled by other network devices, but if something is advertised as "PoE redudancy between the 2 Ethernet ports for high availability" I assume a failover within seconds or even milliseconds. At least in my environment it took over 4 minutes to reestablish an internet connection.

Non the less, thank you for the time and effort you put in order to recreate my test.

Kind regards,

Nicolas

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello Nicolas,

I wanted to be 100% before commenting, so I ran a test in the Lab.

I wouldn't conclude that any additional configuration is required. My AP550 exhibited the same behavior as yours.

ETH0 Power was disconnected, so the AP powered down for 1-3 seconds before it powered back up.

The AP was serving the SSID within the first minute with network connectivity for Client Devices.

So there was a tiny blip, but the fail-over to PoE from ETH1 was successful.

Please note, all Client-Connectivity and AP functionality was as-expected, and is almost always restored before the Hivemanager GUI can report this to be true.

Hope this helps,

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

GTM-P2G8KFN