Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QoS for Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business

QoS for Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business

jakub_sochacki
New Contributor

Hi,

I am wondering how I should go about configuring QoS on my WiFi.

I would like to ensure that video/audio calls through Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams get the priority treatment. How do I do it best? Do I use a Classifier Map? Enterprise Voice?

We are using AP121, AP250 and AP330 across 4 sites. We are on HiveManager NG.

The ports used by Microsoft Teams are:

50,000–50,019 - TCP/UDP - Audio

50,020–50,039 - TCP/UDP- Video

50,040–50,059 - TCP/UDPApplication/Desktop Sharing

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/qos-in-teams

I think these are the same ports as SfB.

I tried adding Teams Video as application, added all the ports, but unfortunately when I make a test call, I don't see this traffic being classified under the Application I created.

I suspect it falls under UDP application instead, but I can't find a way to see how Aerohive defines the applications.

Any help appreciated 🙂

Cheers,

Jakub

7 REPLIES 7

jon_scriven
New Contributor

Did you get any further on this @Jakub S​ ?

We are trying to do something similar so would welcome any update on how you went about it in the end.

Jon

jakub_sochacki
New Contributor

OK, looks like I need to do some reading about QoS, WMM etc.

I will be back with more questions after new year 😉

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

In the user profile we have 2 options for QoS: Traffic marking (with DiffServ or 802.1p)

or per user rate limiting with the use of WMM traffic queues.

If you aren't using DiffServe or 802.1p within your core network, enabling it at the edge won't help. This is why we suggest that you use the per user rate limiting taking into consideration your network design (LAN bandwidth on the wire side, I assume gigabit & WAN bandwidth from ISP). When there is a contingency for bandwidth the QoS will come into play and start prioritizing ingress/egress of video traffic.

You would find those settings by clicking on "Manage Rate Limit Per Client", you can see it in the last screen shot you shared.

jakub_sochacki
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

Could you explain a bit more how I would configure this in User Profile? The only options I see are DiffServ and 802.1p, but the traffic I am trying to classify is not tagged in this way. I would like to use the port ranges.

359eb7da42d74198a207ea86744c4d96_0690c000006GrqFAAS.png

GTM-P2G8KFN