Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SR2348P SFP+ Copper, Overall VLAN questions

SR2348P SFP+ Copper, Overall VLAN questions

cado
New Contributor II

Howdy!

I'm looking at purchasing a SR2348P switch used and wanted to understand if there are any concerns using some or all of the SFP+ Ports with Copper Base T Adapters with 10 gig speeds. Has anyone tried this or found documentation for this specific router that say it is supported? There is documentation for the https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/8.2r1/hm/full/Content/hw/sr/SR2124P.htm SR2124P that directly mentions its ports CAN accomodate any combination of copper or fiber SFP+ modules. But I can't find anything that says this applies. 

Additionally, a perhaps dumb question is are there any issues using this Switch to manage vlans on my network. Another post suggests this Switch shouldn't be used as a "Core" network switch. I largely envision my topology will be something like ONT > PFSENSE Box > This Switch > Cameras, my NVR server, etc

And I'd like to make probably 3 VLANS for my needs that this switch would manage.

The reason I ask about the copper is I have copper ethernet to a few rooms where I'd like to be able to push 10 gig from this switch to.

I'm new to this homelab world so appreciate any corrections or clarifications.

Thanks very much,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cado
New Contributor II

Would have been nice if ExtremeNetworks responded about their own products on the various places I reached out to them... However I can confirm this does work at least with the Wiitech SFP+ to RJ45 10 gig adapters I picked up on Amazon "For Dell Force 10s". These adapters are working both for 10 gig speeds and also for a 2.5 gbps adapter I have as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

cado
New Contributor II

Would have been nice if ExtremeNetworks responded about their own products on the various places I reached out to them... However I can confirm this does work at least with the Wiitech SFP+ to RJ45 10 gig adapters I picked up on Amazon "For Dell Force 10s". These adapters are working both for 10 gig speeds and also for a 2.5 gbps adapter I have as well.

support159
New Contributor

Any reason to go in circles? Why not to get copper switch (without converters) like ie Dell N4032 PowerConnect 24

cado
New Contributor II

Well the SR2348 switch is 48 1 gb/s ports and the N4023 24 switch is 24 10 gb/s ports, and seems to be 4-5x more expensive used. Do you happen to know of a comparable / cheaper Dell switch that would have the 10 gb/s copper ports?

I wouldn't say its in circles, it would be SFP+ to ethernet, one way. I wish there was some official documentation about this anywhere. Can't seem to find it.

Ash_Finch
Contributor III

The SR's are Dell N series switches effectively anyway, though can't recall which model specifically. I think it would work, but I can't find any documentation to confirm either. The best I can find is this:

https://aerohive-www-cdn.aerohive.com/wp-content/uploads/Aerohive_Datasheet_SR2200-SR2300_Switches_F...

GTM-P2G8KFN