Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to download vSLX

Where to download vSLX

fatred
New Contributor

Hello,

We have a modest installation of VDX in our company, and we are in the process of reviewing options for upgrades. I would like to spend some time with SLX to compare and I understand the vSLX environment allows me to model a lot of what we have in a lab setting. What I cannot find is where I can access this to download and try things out.

I would hope there isn’t some Sales Gatekeeping going on here. There is no logical reason why, when I have an account and Sales people can track downloads etc, why I can’t just get on and try stuff out myself. If I have to spend a ton of time with Sales Engineers before I have had the chance to qualify the solution capabilities at a high level, I’ll probably just pass tbh.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

joergkost
Contributor II

Right now the VSLX download is to be bundled with a SLX support contract only, which makes some how sense: The VSLX  is currently not a kind of a production grade product on its own and support for it is "as is".  For example I use it to  validate some major configuration changes but the real usage depends solely on the future underlying hardware (e.g. 9540, 9140, ..). 

Also the virtualization is  a bit limited (e.g. MPLS data plane, ...).

I know it sounds naive, but maybe you can reach out to a partner that can provide you access to a machine with VSLX and evaluate things with you together? 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

joergkost
Contributor II

John, I am not an Extreme employee, but I am confident in the product.

If you want, you can access our  VSLX evaluation host / lab for a week or two and play around.  Just pm me your full contact details (“the business” part) to be on the safe side and also a copy of a SSH public key.  As a tech guy, I won’t bug you with sales - at least if you don't ask for it 🙂

fatred
New Contributor

Thanks for the input Joerg.

It’s a shame, since i’m able to get virtualised lab editions of product from other vendors like Cisco, Arista, Juniper, and Cumulus all with a simple account for tracking purposes. I invariably get called/emailed within a few weeks of fetching something, so i’m “in the system”, and all of these evaluation editions are suitably limited so no right thinking person might try to use them in a production setting.

As a result I can toss up simulations of my configs to do some basic validation and sense checking, prior to entering the real PoC cycle, where I only want qualified options that are worth investing the time and effort around. To engage pre-sales people on what may or may not be a viable/preferable solution serves only to waste an awful lot of people’s time, including my own.

Oh well, on to the next one…

Thanks,

John

joergkost
Contributor II

Right now the VSLX download is to be bundled with a SLX support contract only, which makes some how sense: The VSLX  is currently not a kind of a production grade product on its own and support for it is "as is".  For example I use it to  validate some major configuration changes but the real usage depends solely on the future underlying hardware (e.g. 9540, 9140, ..). 

Also the virtualization is  a bit limited (e.g. MPLS data plane, ...).

I know it sounds naive, but maybe you can reach out to a partner that can provide you access to a machine with VSLX and evaluate things with you together? 

GTM-P2G8KFN