cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading VDX over SCP

Upgrading VDX over SCP

ijrsvt
New Contributor
I'm having trouble figuring out how to upgrade my VDX 6940-36Q switch with Network OS 6.0.0 to version 7.0.2 over SCP. I am currently connected to the switch by serial, management port & an in-band connection. I have been unable to launch the firmware upgrade tool to select the package for install. I have found resources relating to doing such an upgrade with NOS 7.0, but not with 6.0. I was wondering if this is even possible, and if it is--how should I go about doing it.

Furthermore, I was wondering which SWBD I should select for my switch.

Thanks!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee
The issue looks to be a directory structure or user login issue.

From the switch, can you try to ssh directly to the SCP server to confirm reachability? For example:

code:
sw0# ssh 10.229.48.1 -l ian vrf mgmt-vrf

Once you connected to your SCP server, run the following and paste it back here:

code:
$ ls -R /home/ian/nos7.0.2 | grep ":$" | sed -e 's/:$//' -e 's/[^-][^\/]*\//--/g' -e 's/^/  /' -e 's/-/|/' | head -20

So, I can see your directory structure. Depending on how you decompress the files, it may tier the folders multiple times which could cause this error as the script is not able to find the firmware files.

For example, you may need to run:

code:
firmware download scp host 10.229.48.1 user *** directory /home/ian/nos7.0.2/nos7.0.2 password *********** coldboot

Lastly, the latest target path release for 7.x is 7.0.2b which has a good number of fixes and considered stable. I would recommend upgrading to 7.0.2b if you are planning to run it long term.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ijrsvt
New Contributor
It does appear to be downloading at this point. When I ran the SSH command I included the "-m hmac-sha1", and I wonder if that fixed it.

I will update this once it has upgraded to 7.0.2.

Thanks for your help!

ijrsvt
New Contributor
Here is the output from running the command:
code:
  |---nos7.0.2
|-----common
|-------BP
|-----SWBD1000
|-----SWBD1001
|-----SWBD1002
|-----SWBD1003
|-----SWBD1004
|-----SWBD1005
|-----SWBD1006
|-----SWBD1007
|-----SWBD1008
|-----SWBD1009
|-----SWBD1010
|-----SWBD1011
|-----SWBD131
|-----SWBD137
|-----SWBD138
|-----SWBD151
|-----SWBD153

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee
The issue looks to be a directory structure or user login issue.

From the switch, can you try to ssh directly to the SCP server to confirm reachability? For example:

code:
sw0# ssh 10.229.48.1 -l ian vrf mgmt-vrf

Once you connected to your SCP server, run the following and paste it back here:

code:
$ ls -R /home/ian/nos7.0.2 | grep ":$" | sed -e 's/:$//' -e 's/[^-][^\/]*\//--/g' -e 's/^/  /' -e 's/-/|/' | head -20

So, I can see your directory structure. Depending on how you decompress the files, it may tier the folders multiple times which could cause this error as the script is not able to find the firmware files.

For example, you may need to run:

code:
firmware download scp host 10.229.48.1 user *** directory /home/ian/nos7.0.2/nos7.0.2 password *********** coldboot

Lastly, the latest target path release for 7.x is 7.0.2b which has a good number of fixes and considered stable. I would recommend upgrading to 7.0.2b if you are planning to run it long term.

ijrsvt
New Contributor
Truyen,
Thank you very much for answering my questions, unfortunately I am still having issues installing the firmware. When I run
"firmware download scp host 10.229.48.1 user *** directory /home/ian/nos7.0.2 password *********** coldbot"
Where "ian" and "/home/ian/nos7.0.2" refer to the user and to the directory, I get the following error:
"The server is inaccessible or firmware path is invalid. Please make sure the server name or IP address, the user/password and the firmware path are valid and the server supports SSH password authentication."
GTM-P2G8KFN