Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDX mac address table question

VDX mac address table question

jeffery
New Contributor
Hello all,

one question about VDX mac address table.

VDX switch run at Fabric cluster mode.
two spine 8770, and more leaf of 6740 in one fabric cluster. Each 6740 connect to both 8770.
The l3 Vlan VRRP-E configured on two spine 8770.
In leaf 6740 when show mac table, look like below. the some ports is XX VR(vrrp id)/X/X.
How to check VDX fabric encapsulate the mac address to which spine?
Is there any other command can see detial the VDX switch will add TRILL Header of which spine RBridge ID or will load share to two spine?
Each spine configured VRRP-E VIP address, and the VIP address is same. The show mac table is not clear will forward which spine.
How the VDX switch handle these mac address and encapsulate TRILL Header for data packet destinated to vlan VIP GW?

sh mac | i VR
VlanId Mac-address Type State Ports
66 02e0.52e8.c742 System Remote XX VR66/X/X
50 02e0.528a.5732 System Remote XX VR50/X/X
229 02e0.52d2.0ae5 System Remote XX VR229/X/X

Thank You
Hailang
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee
Hi Hailang,

No, the leaf will not send it to both 8770. It will only send the packet to the active VRRP master.

Yes, leaf sees VR229 as a virtual RBID which is own by the active VRRP master. Therefore, it knows which RBID to send the packet.

This mapping is internal and I don't have the commands to print the internal mapping.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee
Hi Hailang,

No, the leaf will not send it to both 8770. It will only send the packet to the active VRRP master.

Yes, leaf sees VR229 as a virtual RBID which is own by the active VRRP master. Therefore, it knows which RBID to send the packet.

This mapping is internal and I don't have the commands to print the internal mapping.

jeffery
New Contributor
Hi Truyen,
Thank.
I am curious how the leaf fabric switch know the packet will forward to active VIP 8770 according mac table?
In the leaf switch should check the mac address table first to decide forward where.
the ports information is VR229/X/X.
Leaf switch 6740 have 2 update to each 8770.
Dose 6740 see this system mac table will forward packets to uplink to 8770, load share?
Any command can show VR229 mapping to which fabric path in leaf switch?

Hailang

Truyen_Phan
Extreme Employee
Hi Hailang,

It's based on the path of how things are connected. As mentioned, the active owns that mac. So, the leaf will send it to active. If the packet gets to the standby first, and SPF is enabled, then the standby will handle the packet.

jeffery
New Contributor
Hi Truyen,

but how can we know forward to which one, active or standby?
the mac table ports information VR229/X/X not indicate from standby or active.

Thank You

Hailang
GTM-P2G8KFN