Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Appliance

Virtual Appliance

NilsGoroll
New Contributor

Hello,

i have a question.

If i want to add a new access point, what is the difference between: "directly to the cloud" and "locally" and how can I set up access points without having to buy an extra license for each individual access point.

1 REPLY 1

Adam_Minowski
Extreme Employee

The only two ways for not paying for AP licenses are:

1. When you have WiNG access point (AP310i, AP410i etc), use VC function in access point. In this mode one AP is acting as controller, and you can manage the rest of them from it. Please be aware that this feature is unsupported for new Universal APs (such as 305C, 410C, 302W etc). If you have those, just go to point 2.

2. For cloud native old Aerohive APs (AP130, AP122 etc) or Extreme Universal Access Points mentioned earlier,  for free you can use "directly to cloud" option only. Please be aware that "CloudiQ" and "CloudIQ Controller" are two different things. CloudIQ (without word: Controller) is public cloud management platform accessible via https://extremecloudiq.com. This is a choice for you. You can create your account there for free and use free Connect mode without any adittional licenses. Just choose free option. Do not use trial as it is different thing! Connect (free) mode is limited in terms of available features, but I suppose it's obvious.

On the other hand "locally" assumes that you already have installed wireless controller in your network - "CloudIQ Controller" - this one requires license for each AP.

Cheers,
Adam

GTM-P2G8KFN