Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Script for Config Archival from Dell

Custom Script for Config Archival from Dell

Jimmy_Payne1
New Contributor

Afternoon All,

I am hoping I can get some help on an issue with a script being used to attempt to archive configs from a Dell Force 10 switch. The OS on these switches are 98 percent like a Cisco OS. I talked to GTAC earlier because the file was I was trying to use as a template for these switches, was not showing up in the list. The script now shows up in the list and I choose that file, and do a backup configuration from the menu. The operations list shows that the the backup of the config failed and says that the file is empty.  That being said, these switches, when you SSH to them, ask for a username and password and once you have successfully logged in you are able from that prompt to run the command that would copy the config out to your target server.  So essentially, my script says 

%LOGINUSER%

%ENABLEPSWD%

copy running-config tftp %TFTP_IP% %RELATIVE_TARGET_FILE_PATH%

receive20 (left the @ symbol out purposely in this post)

exit

I assume that these variables are defined somewhere in the config of Site Engine as I could not find any other script with them defined within the file itself.

I can from within Site Engine,  right click on these devices and console in without issue. 

Just wanted to see if anyone might have any ideas as to what the issue might be. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee

Hello Jimmy,

We would need to look at some debug output to see why the script failed. 

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000107794

If Device is using CLI script for backup

1. Enable Debug 
Administration --> Diagnostics --> Server --> Server Diagnostics
Set the following to Verbose: 
Inventory Manager
Inventory Manager Script
Telnet/SSH command shell
  1. SSH into XIQ-SE and run a tcpdump for the testing device
    tcpdump -i eth0 -s 0 -w snmptrace.pcap host x.x.x.x
  2. Test the device
Once both are enabled right click the test switch --> Archives --> Backup Configuration

Monitor the operations tab (Clock Icon at top of screen) for indication of failure. Once completed Use ctrl-c to break the tcpdump and disable all diagnostics. 

Administration --> Diagnostics --> Server --> Server Diagnostics --> Reset Defaults

3. Evaluate the information

For CLI based backup the most information can be found in the /usr/local/Extreme_Networks/NetSight/appdata/logs/server.log/
Use winscp to transfer the server.log locally if necessary. 

If debug was taken per the above recommendation usually close to the bottom of the log will be a complete output of the SSH/Telnet interaction. Review the output to determine if XIQ-SE sent the appropriate commands, or identify what error message was thrown on failure.

Thanks
-Ryan
GTM-P2G8KFN