cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMC can't copy desired to current to synchronise config?

XMC can't copy desired to current to synchronise config?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Might be miss-understanding this, but when I hit ‘Enforce’, why are the desired VLANs not been configured and copied over to the current? If I do a refresh or looks at the switch config the desired VLANs are not being copied onto the switch. There are no enforce errors?

XMC Version: 8.5.2.6

3a54da6d2d0d47629ed220f2e9692dd0_7bceb668-4349-465e-b87e-e6f30ce93f58.png

In fact what happened was all the VLANs where actually configured on the current to associated ports, but not showing on the desired. So I merged all the entries so they where the same both sides, then enforced.

What actually happened was when I hit enforce it removed all the port VLAN memberships off the current and equally the switch itself and copied them over to desired!?

The idea was to synchronise the two together, so the desired and current where the same and I no longer get the red arrow. After that I can trust the tool moving forward and use it to make changes. At the moment I can’t get them to match.

No doubt I’m doing something wrong here so any assistance in the errors of my ways would be great.

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so I added all the VLANs back into the switch again with all the interfaces configured to PVID = 0 and it worked, and nothing disappeared

f90ab710e3db4b4c9196c257b7553b39_4a07a5e6-f0fe-4343-8377-a5a42fd932d3.png

Trying to figure out what went wrong originally, the only thing I can think of is that originally the section below had a lot more red crosses on it:

f90ab710e3db4b4c9196c257b7553b39_a487b1d8-a757-468c-8006-bed81777804f.png

As is was a brownfield site the config in XMC was very different, hence so many red crosses.

The LAGs are configured with LACP, that might have had an play in it also?

Anyway, this time there was only a cross on the ports, so was the only element I enabled to enforce instead of all at once.

Maybe the fact it wasn’t trying to do so much this time,  it is better to sync one category at a time instead of all at once is the trick?

Anyway, seems to be ok now and appreciated the help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so I added all the VLANs back into the switch again with all the interfaces configured to PVID = 0 and it worked, and nothing disappeared

f90ab710e3db4b4c9196c257b7553b39_4a07a5e6-f0fe-4343-8377-a5a42fd932d3.png

Trying to figure out what went wrong originally, the only thing I can think of is that originally the section below had a lot more red crosses on it:

f90ab710e3db4b4c9196c257b7553b39_a487b1d8-a757-468c-8006-bed81777804f.png

As is was a brownfield site the config in XMC was very different, hence so many red crosses.

The LAGs are configured with LACP, that might have had an play in it also?

Anyway, this time there was only a cross on the ports, so was the only element I enabled to enforce instead of all at once.

Maybe the fact it wasn’t trying to do so much this time,  it is better to sync one category at a time instead of all at once is the trick?

Anyway, seems to be ok now and appreciated the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting back.

Think your onto something there, as it rings a bell now when I did the merge originally.

Sorry, I didn’t mention I am using a VOSS switch, or that step I forgot about.

I configured the switch port with a PVID of 0, which I believe (could be wrong), good practise on a VOSS switch when using a trunk port and disgaurding untagged frames, here is an example:

interface GigabitEthernet 3/1
untagged-frames-discard
default-vlan-id 0
name "PorLANst119A"
no shutdown
slpp packet-rx
slpp packet-rx-threshold 500
lacp key 301 aggregation enable
lacp enable
no spanning-tree mstp force-port-state enable
sflow sampling-rate 8192
sflow collector 1
exit

But I remember now that in XMC it automictically filled the PVID with a VLAN ID, no idea how it determined what one to use as there are a bunch of VLANs assigned to every port?

I then thought that was odd, that’s not what I wanted or expected i.e. I wanted the PVID to remain as 0 as per the switches current configuration.

So I suspect that is the issue as the bit I remember was I changed all the PVID’s back to 0 to match what the configuration on the switch, and that point on I couldn’t get it to work?

The question is that in VOSS, where a PVID of 0 does seem to be a configurable option, and believe best practise, why doesn’t it work?

Maybe the answer is simply don’t use a PVID of 0, whether that's just the answer or there is actually something wrong I don’t know?

Thanks

RobertWilkinson
New Contributor III

Hi Martin,

I’ve had this before and it turned out to be two things, first i wasn’t selecting the enforce option (easily missed) and secondly the PVID 0 is the default in XMC but the switch itself doesn’t recognize PVID 0 as a configurable option.

GTM-P2G8KFN