cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captive Portal - Signing in required too frequently

Captive Portal - Signing in required too frequently

CA-Davida
New Contributor

I've tried Essentials Extreme Guest, however for the requirements we have, I was unable to make this work.

Instead, I've had to go to Configure Common Objects > Captive Web Portals.

I've configured a portal that requires a the user to enter a first name, last name and email address. They click "Register" and they immediately get internet access.

This all seems to work just fine, there have been no issues whilst testing, and I can connected to the SSID, I get redirected to the CWP and I can enter some creds, once done, I get internet access and all is good!

However... on my android phone, I'm noticing that if I leave my phone for 15 mins or so, web pages stop working and I'm prompted with a notification to sign back in, and I need to enter a name, password and email again. Why is this prompting so frequently? Can you check the idle time? 

The settings for it are set to wait 12 hours before re-authenticating I think? See attached screenshot.

2 REPLIES 2

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

@CA-Davida 

Here's a link to the location of idle timeouts in XIQ: https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000057241

Please read the registration period note for captive web portal option 3. If roaming cache times out then you will be prompted to re-login. 

I hope this helps,

BR,

Christoph S.

This didn't seem to make much difference. As per my first screenshot, our time out setting is set to 720 minutes. We've consistently tested this with multiple phones running iOS and Android, and after 15/20 mins of idle time, it just drops the session and asked them to sign back in again via the portal. The actual connection to the SSID remains up though. 

Any other thoughts or things we can check on this one?

GTM-P2G8KFN