cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Tier Going Away

Free Tier Going Away

bswaby
New Contributor II

We are a non-profit and have been on the free tier going on 9 years.  It's been a great run and trying to figure out next steps as we are being told the "only" option is to pay the $100 fee per device per year.  At over 100 devices, this is just not good to pull that much from a non-profit YoY on something we hardly ever log into and do not need any of the advanced features on.  

I thought Extreme was better than that, and I have sold so many of these to other churches that it's now embarrassing to go back to them to tell them.   I was told that it was due to the free tier hosting costs Extreme so many $'s, but they are still providing a "free" tier for 10 devices.  So, that reason and going all the way to $100 per device doesn't make any sense.  Maybe $20 a device, but not $100.  If anything, give your non-profits more options as this is killing us

A few questions

1) how soon did you know about this?  We only found out last week when we logged in, but our sales rep says we should have received an email.  unfortunately, we did not... 😞

2) Is anyone managing all their devices using an SSH config tool?  I used Kiwi CatTools years ago, but thinking something else like Auvik could be a better choice based on what it will give.

3) is anyone moving to another product?  We were on the cuff of purchasing $15-20k of additional extreme gear, but wondering if that will be better spent on another product.    Would love to know what you are considering as a few other churches I have spoken with are using a variety from unifi, aruba, Fortinet, and Ruckus.  Not super excited about Unifi beyond the price, and I know many of the larger venue churches mostly use Ruckus.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all, just wanted to clarify here real quick- To my knowledge connect isn't going away, but will be limited to 10 devices per Connect instance going forward. No limit to how many Connect instances you have, and it will still be an option available for those who don't want to pay for the more advanced features in the licensed version of XIQ. Hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

bswaby
New Contributor II

FYI:  I received confirmation that this will be effective on Jan 1, 2024.

kkurniawan
New Contributor II

How the system knows that we have reached limit of 10 devices?  If I have 50 devices that sitting behind same PUBLIC IP network and I create 5 different user accounts to manage, will that work?  All 50 devices will be on the same public ip network.  OR will the system count based on the number of devices registered under each user account?

bswaby
New Contributor II

From my understanding, it is how many are registered.    So, if you don't take the path of spinning up 5 free instances (to stay under the 10) or use CLI, then it takes you from $0 a year to around $5,000 for those same 50 devices.    As for the cost, when you look at the competition, I don't blame them for wanting to increase revenue, but this should have been thought out better as this is one of the cost-of-ownership attractions with Extreme.  I'm sure there is a happy medium in this, but they will gain some dollars at the cost of losing a percentage of clients to other platforms.  

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all, just wanted to clarify here real quick- To my knowledge connect isn't going away, but will be limited to 10 devices per Connect instance going forward. No limit to how many Connect instances you have, and it will still be an option available for those who don't want to pay for the more advanced features in the licensed version of XIQ. Hope that helps. 

GTM-P2G8KFN