cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide for RADIUS setup on APs against AD using Extreme XIQVA (On Premise)

Guide for RADIUS setup on APs against AD using Extreme XIQVA (On Premise)

ian_blackwood
New Contributor

Hi,

I suspect the cloud version will be the same, but we have IQVA (on premise Virtual Appliance).

I am trying to configure our sites to use 802.1x auth against RADIUS running on the APs (mostly AP245x) backing onto Microsoft AD at the local site.

Have tried finding a good guide / workflow but any links seem broken with all the website changes.

I currently have all sites working against MS NPS but obviously not good if the WAN goes down.

Does anyone have have a good complete guide of the workflow required for a simple setup ?

Cheers

Ian

5 REPLIES 5

ian_blackwood
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

This is the same existing subnet the APs were previously getting DHCP addresses from. I am just setting addresses in the same block outside the DHCP pool.

I am using the process from XIQ as per the link above.

This sets the static IP, mask and gateway as per the UI, but the DNS resolver setting is notably absent.

When setting using the XIQ UI the APs no longer get DNS settings from DHCP (which they were previously when set to DHCP) so they cannot resolve hivemanager.

I can set the DNS resolver IP address in CLI, but then these show as delta changes in XIQ and presumably would be changed back on next push from XIQ ?

Cheers

Ian

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You would need a backend network set up that supports the new subnet the APs are using when they are placed on the new IP addresses. You can also set up the DNS server in CLI if that helps. This guide reviews how to set the static IP and related parameters in CLI and in XIQ. 

ian_blackwood
New Contributor

So I have to set static IPs on the APs I want to use for RADIUS. No problem.

When I set them as static in XIQVA and push that config, the AP no longer gets its domain suffix or DNS servers from DHCP, but the static settings don’t include setting these - result: the AP cannot contact the Hivemanager any more…

I know it didn’t use to be like that ! I believe before it still use DHCP queries to learn those.

I am able to SSH to them to get them back onto Hivemanager, but how can I set a static from XIQ that works nowadays ?

Cheers

Ian

ian_blackwood
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the link.

I already have external RADIUS working.

I will be doing the Internal RADIUS to external user database one.

I will see how I go.

Cheers

Ian

GTM-P2G8KFN