Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPSK and 6GHz

PPSK and 6GHz

JA
New Contributor III

Hi

I was reading in the latest version of the XIQ User Guide and it stated

"Private Pre-Shared Key requires users to authenticate by entering a PPSK unique to each user (not available for 6 GHz)."

Does anyone know if use in 6GHz something that may be added later?

Thanks

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jan_Reister
Contributor

WPA3 is mandatory in 6GHz, no other method (e.g.WPA, WPA2,WEP) is allowed.

PPSK relies on WPA2 Personal, because WPA2 P. allows the reverse-engineering of the passphrase based on it contributing to the master session key. WPA3 does not allow that.

Jan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JA
New Contributor III

Thank you Jan.

I wonder if there is a replacement in the works for something similar that will work with WPA3?

Thanks again.

J

PPSK in WPA2 Personal can be implemented by the AP in two ways:

1. based on the client device MAC address - fails with MAC address randomization
  2. based on the individual PSK that the client uses in the 4-way handshake to derive the encryption keys - does not work in WPA3 Personal

The only way I see for this to work in 6GHz is some proprietary implementation of WPA2 Personal outside of the IEEE 802.11ax standard and of the Wi-Fi Alliance certifications. One may question if this is worth the trouble.

Jan

JA
New Contributor III

Thanks again Jan.

J

Jan_Reister
Contributor

WPA3 is mandatory in 6GHz, no other method (e.g.WPA, WPA2,WEP) is allowed.

PPSK relies on WPA2 Personal, because WPA2 P. allows the reverse-engineering of the passphrase based on it contributing to the master session key. WPA3 does not allow that.

Jan

GTM-P2G8KFN