Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired AP ports: Access, Trunk or Uplink

Wired AP ports: Access, Trunk or Uplink

Fijs
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Is there anybody who can clearly describe the difference and use cases of these port types?

I just finished the ECS - ExtremeWireless Cloud 2-day lab, and this is what the student guide says:

99aa803dda954c35b8813d45a553b4a5_d07cc79e-5da3-42ee-a798-6cba471797e6.png

This does not make much sense, so I searched on the KB and found this equally confusing answer:

99aa803dda954c35b8813d45a553b4a5_805a7196-e291-4768-9f41-2e12e887e930.png

We discussed with the teacher and the other students, but nobody had a clear answer.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Brent_Addis
Contributor

Access port - Untagged vlan. Whatever vlan your switch has untagged on this port, is the vlan in use. Does not allow for SSIDs with their own vlan ids.

Trunk port - All vlans are tagged. AP routing protocols such as ASCP do not function, AP does not present a L3 address so cannot speak upstream to cloud.Useful in a mesh only environment where you have a switch plugged in.

Uplink - Routing protocols work here. Device will tag vlans based on SSID. Device can talk to cloud for mangement

-----
-Brent Addis / Extreme Black Belt #491

New to Extreme? Check out the Welcome series here - https://training.extremenetworks.com/welcome-series-1
Want to join the official Extreme learners discord? Let me know!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Fijs
New Contributor III

Thanks Brent, this makes much more sense 🙂

Did you get this anywhere form official doc?

Brent_Addis
Contributor

Access port - Untagged vlan. Whatever vlan your switch has untagged on this port, is the vlan in use. Does not allow for SSIDs with their own vlan ids.

Trunk port - All vlans are tagged. AP routing protocols such as ASCP do not function, AP does not present a L3 address so cannot speak upstream to cloud.Useful in a mesh only environment where you have a switch plugged in.

Uplink - Routing protocols work here. Device will tag vlans based on SSID. Device can talk to cloud for mangement

-----
-Brent Addis / Extreme Black Belt #491

New to Extreme? Check out the Welcome series here - https://training.extremenetworks.com/welcome-series-1
Want to join the official Extreme learners discord? Let me know!
GTM-P2G8KFN