cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme switching 220 port light is off on switch; but link light is on on device.

Extreme switching 220 port light is off on switch; but link light is on on device.

Richard_Westerv
New Contributor

This is similar to the 220 LED patterns thread; but somewhat different.

I can’t ping the device when it’s connected to the switch.  The LED for the port it’s connected to is off.  However, the “net” light on the device (a Digi Etherlite 32) is *on*.  I have tried replacing the patch cable from the switch to the patch panel with no change; used a different patch panel port with no change; and replaced the patch  panel to etherlite cable with no change.  As far as I know, this was working prior to vacation over the holidays.  Since the entire location takes off for the holidays;  I can’t say what - if anything - might have happened when we were all gone.

Looked in the command reference for the 200 series units; and it said one could “manually recover” a disabled port by doing “no shutdown” on that interface.  Tried that and no change.

Also don’t see anything obvious in the event log; but that log isn’t exactly user-read-friendly.

So just what might have happened to this port; and how does one actually recover it?  The odd thing is that the link light is on on the device; yet the port LED is off.  Why the disparity?  The device must be detecting *something* from the switch, or it’s light would be off too.

The device works perfectly when not connected through that particular switch (using a Extreme Summit x450-24; for example).

On another note; whoever thought that using a Cisco-like configuration language on an Extreme Network switch was a good idea hopefully has been terminated by now.  I know a lot of “brand x” switches have adopted configuration languages similar to Cisco’s; but Extremeware and XOS were very intuitive.  Cisco isn’t.

Thanks.

0 REPLIES 0
GTM-P2G8KFN