Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SK8008-1224-F8 fabric module replacement on bonded S4 chassis

SK8008-1224-F8 fabric module replacement on bonded S4 chassis

Robert_Zdzieblo
Contributor II
Hello everyone,

I need to replace faulty SK8008-1224-F8 module on bonded S4 chassis. The module has 4 dedicated VSB ports.

Here are my questions:
  1. Is there any procedure for such replacement ?
  2. Do I have to configure VSB bonding option again in newly replaced module ?
  3. Do I have to update fw version on module first to match the version on other chassis ?
  4. Will the configuration be maintained once the VSB connection between both chassis is on again ?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

REGARDS
Robert
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ar1
Contributor
Hi Robert,

I guess you shouldn't power off the chassis because if you switch it on again I'm not sure that the configured and running fabric modul will be the the master.

In the past I had a defective module in a S8-Bond-System and I did't power the chassis off.
Because my defective board (only a ferw front ports are defective, not the modul itself) was up and running it was important to shut it down controlled so that all services that are running on it will move to the module that is fine (and the easiest way was to reboot the defective module and when it was down, I pulled it out before it stats again).

Regards,
Axel

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Robert_Zdzieblo
Contributor II
Hello Community,

Just as a supplement to the thread: I have replaced the I/O fabric module following Axel suggestions.
Chassis was powered on, I have shutdown the failed module, then quickly pulled it out.
I have put the new module in; it took 20-30 minutes for firmware/config synchronization before I was able to use console port on chassis without interruptions.
Anyway, finally I got my bonded S4-series chassis up and running.

REAGRDS
Robert

Robert_Zdzieblo
Contributor II
Axel,

Once again: thanks for your answer. That cleared my concerns, especially regarding powering off the chassis or not.

BTW, I got this article from GTAC (although it applies to chassis with only one fabric module):
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-To-replace-an-SSA-or-7100-Series-switc...

REGARDS
Robert

ar1
Contributor
Hi Robert,

I guess you shouldn't power off the chassis because if you switch it on again I'm not sure that the configured and running fabric modul will be the the master.

In the past I had a defective module in a S8-Bond-System and I did't power the chassis off.
Because my defective board (only a ferw front ports are defective, not the modul itself) was up and running it was important to shut it down controlled so that all services that are running on it will move to the module that is fine (and the easiest way was to reboot the defective module and when it was down, I pulled it out before it stats again).

Regards,
Axel

Robert_Zdzieblo
Contributor II
Thanks Axel,

Yes, I have another module SK8208-0808-F8 in the chassis.
Can I replace the module while chassis is on (hotswap) or do I have to power off whole chassis first ?

REGARDS
Robert
GTM-P2G8KFN