Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POE Bad PSE I2C

POE Bad PSE I2C

gmadru
New Contributor

Hello,

I would like to discuss about an issue we saw multiple time theses days on our equipements, all Extreme 4950 GTS PWR+ (2x 1025W AC) .

It appears some equipements stops operating at a moment, with only the “Status” Led becoming Orange. Their is no more PoE, nor Network connection to the attached equipements. the equipement continue to answer to pings, so it is invisible from our supervision to detect this problem.

If we reboot the switch, it will stop working and be stuck on Diagnostic Break Menu, with :

POE  Bad PSE I2C Adrs[ 0 ]:  FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF

Test 301  POE    Contact                  -       FAILED

We can still do the “continue Boot sequence” with the Console Cable.

But then, with all the “Show” commands, the issue is not displayed anywhere, with “show logging”, “show poe-main-status”, “show poe-port-status”, “show poe-power-measurement”, “show sys-info” or “show system”

I also tried with some SNMPv2 requests, but it just answers that the PoE works and somehow delivers power …

Did anyone saw this problem ? Do someone have any advice about how we could monitor/diag this BEFORE rebooting the switch ? I can’t find any command to highlight this problem, to not reboot an equipement next time without knowing it won’t boot.

Thank for your time, and sorry for my english,

Best Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

gmadru,

You should open a GTAC case for hardware issues like this.

One thing to be checked is that the PoE SW is aligned with the Switch software release.

You can check that in a “show tech” and compare with the files on the support site.

Mig

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

schafkaj
New Contributor

Hi,
was there a solution from support for your problem? We currently have a similar problem with the PoE. The switch stops working for no apparent reason. When restarting, the same error is then displayed via the COM interface.

Best regards

gmadru
New Contributor

Hello, thanks for your answer, unfortunately, I, personnaly don’t have access to Extreme’s support services, so I wanted to troubleshoot by myself.

OK, so i will tranfer this advice to my colleagues who have this kind of access.

Thanks

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

gmadru,

You should open a GTAC case for hardware issues like this.

One thing to be checked is that the PoE SW is aligned with the Switch software release.

You can check that in a “show tech” and compare with the files on the support site.

Mig

GTM-P2G8KFN