cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5520 switch 1000BT GBIC in 5520-VIM-4X wont link

5520 switch 1000BT GBIC in 5520-VIM-4X wont link

Keith9
Contributor III

I put a 1000BASE-T SFP (FS.com Extreme encoded) that usually works without hesitation in X450G2 switches in a new 5520 switch.  This would be port 1:57.

I connected a cable to an ethernet handoff and get no link.  sh port 1:57 does not show any link at all.  

The reason I’m using this is to keep the face ports (1 to 48) free for endpoints and I was going to use the VIM-4X for uplinks.

Any reason why this module works fine on a 450G2 but not a 5520 on EXOS 31.1.3?

It sees it according to the log

Slot-1: Media 1000T is inserted into Port 1:57

I even tried a cisco one, it sees that one too according to the log, but I can’t establish a link.

Port     Display              VLAN Name           Port  Link  Speed  Duplex                                                                                                 #        String               (or # VLANs)        State State Actual Actual                                                                                                 ===========================================================================                                                                                                 1:57                          Default             E     R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

@Keith Correct, What “works” and what is “validated” are two different things. I have seen folks do some “creative” things with our switches over the years.  I wish I could give you an answer but at this time I need to abide with the same tools the public uses.    

You are best to follow up with your local Extreme SE. Have them reach into PLM.  If you don’t know your SE you can DM me and I can help you out.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Keith9
Contributor III

Will this be able to be resolved in software?  I have enough ports (96 face ports plus 8 VIM).  I just really liked to standardize our ISP uplinks on SFP modules on the extra ports.  That frees up all face ports for end-user equipment.  Our other sites running Cisco 3750X or EXOS 460G2’s work great in this manner. 

I have to think this would be able to be fixed in software.  I changed to the VOSS tab and it just states that its supported min software revision 8.2.5.  The only difference is the software.  We are not runing VOSS.  We don’t know enough about it or SPBM fabric networking to run that in production yet.  Someday maybe, but not by our target goal to get rid of Cisco switches that are approaching end of life.

Keith9
Contributor III

I think i will open a gtac case to have a ticket number to get some eyes on it and then reference that case number with our Extreme SE.  The more visibility the better.

We expected this to work, especially since it works on the older switches.  I just logged into one of our other sites switch stack and its a 2 x X450G2-48p-10G4 stack.  Our WAN handoff goes fine into port 1:49 and cellular backup router into port 2:49, and OSPF on the stack with ipforwarding enabled works like a charm.

We are removing Cisco 3750’s because they are end of life this October.  With 14 switches left, sure we could have just gone with more X450G2’s but we asked hey with this investment lets get the latest comparable model that will be supported for YEARS to come, and our rep came back with the 5520 with the VIM.

While we can work around this for now, the site has 86 access ports required and 2 x 48 nets us 96 front facing ports… we have enough free slots for the WAN handoff and Cellular backup handoff.  The VM server has no issues linking up on 10gbps fiber across 1:59 and 2:59.

You know, I bet this is why I could not get a Cisco 3750 1gbps fiber optic SFP to link up with a 5520-24port with VIM and 1gbps fiber sfp’s in the side. I posted about that a few months ago.  We just put it off until the parent 3750 switch in that one building gets upgraded to a 5520 stack with 10gig modules.

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

@Keith Correct, What “works” and what is “validated” are two different things. I have seen folks do some “creative” things with our switches over the years.  I wish I could give you an answer but at this time I need to abide with the same tools the public uses.    

You are best to follow up with your local Extreme SE. Have them reach into PLM.  If you don’t know your SE you can DM me and I can help you out.

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Well, then I’m sorry for the misinformation - it isn’t supportet as Paul mentioned and actually not working. 😞

GTM-P2G8KFN