Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOOTP Relay

BOOTP Relay

T_Pitch
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm having trouble with PCs on VLAN 17 getting IP addresses from the DHCP server on VLAN 2. All of our PCs and our servers are on the same subnet, and I'm working on splitting those but want to keep just the one DHCP server. My requests are not being seen by my DHCP server, and I've gone through this troubleshooting article and everything looks good: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000081832

Layer 2 works because I've statically assigned an IP to a PC to test. I was able to traverse my entire network with a statically assigned address (even ping the DHCP server). I have even tried DHCP from my core switch, but it fails.

Running Wireshark I can see the broadcast leaving the PC, but never making it to my DHCP server. So I mirrored VLAN 2 to a port at my core and watched for that MAC address to show up just as the article above suggests in Case 2 step 7 in which I never saw a DHCP Discover come across.

TOPOLOGY
[ LAPTOP ] ----- [ SWITCH 2 ] -------- [ CORE SWITCH ] ------- [ VM Host ] ----- [ VM: DHCP SERVER ]

CORE CONFIGURATION:
configure bootprelay add 192.168.192.168 vr VR-Default
enable bootprelay ipv4 vlan 17
configure bootprelay vlan 17 add 192.168.192.168

I'm sure I've missed something obvious.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

T_Pitch
New Contributor III
Quick comment- I just remembered someone saying something about a bug with EXOS 22.5.1.7 (I believe in reference to DHCP). I tried from one of my switches running 22.6.1.4 and it works just fine. Both of these are access layer switches, not my core.

I tried Googleing for the bug but lost interest after 5 minutes.

Thanks for your assistance!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

T_Pitch
New Contributor III
Quick comment- I just remembered someone saying something about a bug with EXOS 22.5.1.7 (I believe in reference to DHCP). I tried from one of my switches running 22.6.1.4 and it works just fine. Both of these are access layer switches, not my core.

I tried Googleing for the bug but lost interest after 5 minutes.

Thanks for your assistance!

T_Pitch
New Contributor III
All of that is done. GTAC it is...

Thanks for your help.

BradP
Extreme Employee
Hi T,

The only other thing that I can think of is that each of the concerned VLANs needs to have an IP address on it and IP forwarding enabled. If that doesn't fix it, I'd suggest opening a case with GTAC.

Regards,
Brad

T_Pitch
New Contributor III
B-rad,

I enabled as suggested but still getting the same issue.

COMMAND ENTERED:
enable bootprelay ipv4 vlan 2

Thanks
GTM-P2G8KFN