Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brief/abbreviated "show configuration" command

brief/abbreviated "show configuration" command

kyler_hauschild
New Contributor
Hey,

Often times I just want a quick print out of the live config on a switch and see if there are any oddities.The problem is many of the per-port commands (QPs, DiffServ Exam/Replace, LLDP/CDP/EDP) add a config line entry for each port. If I have a stack of 48 port switches even the most basic config can span hundreds and hundreds of lines. Is there a way to show a condensed show configuration" command?

For example, issuing a single command to enable full LLDP TLVs adds ~250 lines to the configuration per switch.
3 REPLIES 3

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
The closest thing to this that I'm aware of is the "show config clean" script that we've got on our GitHub:
https://github.com/extremenetworks/ExtremeScripting/tree/master/EXOS/Python/show_config_clean

By adding some additional logic to this script, it could be updated to further condense configuration lines like you're suggesting.

kyler_hauschild
New Contributor
Thanks Nikolay.

I should have stated that I already use include and categories when I can , I'm just wondering if there's a way to condense the config into something similar to the commands someone would actually enter.

For example, I'm on a stack of two X460-48t switches and someone entered:
create qosprofile QP2
create qosprofile QP5
create qosprofile QP6Those three commands resulted in 350 lines being added to the running configuration with each line being for a specific QP for a specific port:
configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:1
configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:2
configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:3
configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:4
configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:5
...Whereas most vendors would condense this down into:
configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:1-1:58
configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 2:1-2:58For most vendors showing the running config is considered to be the go-to command when trying to figure out how a switch has been configured. Configuration categories and the include command are useful if I already know what I'm looking for but I'm finding that's the case less and less often the more I work 🙂

Necheporenko__N
Extreme Employee
Hello Kyler,

You may do filtering config per module and also do grep for including/excluding config lines, like in example below:

SW2.1 # sh configuration
Execute the command
detail display all configuration data including default, otherwise default would not be displayed
| Filter the output of the command
Configuration module name
"aaa" "acl" "cfgmgr" "cfm" "devmgr"
"dirser" "dosprotect" "eaps" "edp" "elrp"
"elsm" "ems" "epm" "erps" "esrp"
"etmon" "fdb" "hal" "hclag" "idMgr"
"ipSecurity" "lacp" "lldp" "mcmgr" "mrp"
"netlogin" "nettools" "nodemgr" "poe" "polMgr"
"rtmgr" "snmp" "stp" "telnetd" "thttpd"
"vlan" "xmlc" "xmldbe"
SW2.1 # sh configuration "lldp" |
begin Display all the lines starting with the first line that matches the regular expression
exclude Do not display the lines that match the regular expression
include Display the lines that match the regular expression

GTM-P2G8KFN