cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable EEE on ports. Is it worth it?

Enable EEE on ports. Is it worth it?

gacpac
New Contributor

I was thinking posting this on Reddit first, but want to hear from the community first

I like how extreme implements 802.3az eee in the ports, I'm currently testing in some switches in a lab, so far so good. 

But is there any benefits additional from power saving? 

For my use case, I have devices that go to sleep and cause constant port flapping in my switches. I'm assuming that if the switch and device agree it's on power save mode,the annoying port on/off log and sometimes increased CPU usage will improve, but also make the switch run cooler at times.

3 REPLIES 3

FredrikB
Contributor II

We just activated EEE on a switch, and noticed that the link flapped on all ports where we did that (port 1-48). I’m not sure it’s expected o not, but we were a bit surprised to see links going down and up.

gacpac
New Contributor

Thanks for the information. 

I like the EEE in the ports as the computers don't send wrong information when sleep mode, like 1Gb active, then 100mb or 10mb with the computer clearly sleeping. 

I'm going to research the port link flap detection as that might fix my issue. 

Ty_Izzet
Extreme Employee

If there truly is a demand to save power, then it would be recommended. The port flapping should not be seen alongside with enabling EEE though you could also enable link flap detection to help stabilise the switch and port if it does constantly flap. Otherwise, it could be a code issue or possibly EEE does not play well with the end device. please ensure that the switch is on the recommended EXOS release.

The following is a run down on EEE:

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/exos_22.4/EXOS_21_1/Slots_and_Ports/c_energy-efficient-eth...

The following is information on using Link Flap Detection:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-Link-Flap-Detection-in-EX...

GTM-P2G8KFN