Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Ports Not Getting Config Correctly - 5320 Switches

Fiber Ports Not Getting Config Correctly - 5320 Switches

jshearer
New Contributor II

Hello, bear with me im kinda new to most of this,

I have a problem trying to update my 5320 switches and utilize 10gb SFP ports now that we dont have to pay for them. I have all my ports the same 1-20 accepting all my VLANs auto speed and duplex, full. I find that some of my switches won't change the fiber port config and for some reason holds on to a "auto, off, speed 1000 duplex off". when this happens i can't use the 10gb modules and there is no activity. So to test this, i pushed out a new config to 2 switches, rebooted, and did a show config 

unnamed.png

Youll see the photo 1Gb speed is set for those 2 ports on 1 switch but not the other. They both got the same policy and device temp. This isnt the first time it happened it seems to be a new issue ever since trying to use 10GB modules. (10301-ST class 1laster 10.31 Gbps 300m 850nm with short 0m5 cable). Hopefully i've given enough info, anyone have any ideas besides factory reset (which i had to do on a bunch of them to get the config totally reset)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Which firmware are you running now? What happens when you issue "configure ports 17-18 auto off speed 10000 duplex full"?

My guess: You used these ports previously on the older firmware, which required a license in order to use 10G. Updating to a newer version (in order to use 10G without a license) of course will NOT change the port config automatically and they stay on 1G, so you have to do it manually. 

View solution in original post

jshearer
New Contributor II

after this all i did was reboot the switch and sh config again and now its back to 1000 duplex full again. 

jshearer_0-1709303440278.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Which firmware are you running now? What happens when you issue "configure ports 17-18 auto off speed 10000 duplex full"?

My guess: You used these ports previously on the older firmware, which required a license in order to use 10G. Updating to a newer version (in order to use 10G without a license) of course will NOT change the port config automatically and they stay on 1G, so you have to do it manually. 

jshearer
New Contributor II

Hello, 

The ports in the policy are set to auto-speed. Pushing out the config would change them from whatever they were configured before to whats in that policy correct? 

The firmware i'm using now is 32.6.2.68. 

jshearer_0-1709301690417.png

After sending that command you can see now it no longer shows up in the show config. I just moved the fiber from 1gb module to the 10gb and it's now active again. So that did work. But if I push out an update to a switch that's connected using a fiber port and it loses connection and that switch goes down, I then can't send out that command to fix it without manually going to each one. Seems odd. 

Just some more notes, before I sent the command you gave I could go from 1gb module to a 10gb but now they both have to be the same 1gb to 1gb or 10gb to 10gb. I thought they were backward compatible. 

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

@jshearer wrote:

But if I push out an update to a switch that's connected using a fiber port and it loses connection and that switch goes down, I then can't send out that command to fix it without manually going to each one. Seems odd.

I don't really get that. You only have this issue "once" while migrating from 1 Gbit/s to 10 Gbit/s and you need to go there anyways to replace the SFP-Modules. 

jshearer
New Contributor II

after this all i did was reboot the switch and sh config again and now its back to 1000 duplex full again. 

jshearer_0-1709303440278.png

GTM-P2G8KFN