cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many MSTP instances are good for less CPU utilization & faster performance in exos

How many MSTP instances are good for less CPU utilization & faster performance in exos

ddpatil89
New Contributor III

We are migrating from 2 cisco core to extreme exos x670-g2 (2 stacked x670-g2). In present customer setup we have 60 vlans with PVST running. As extreme does not support pvst we are planning to migrate from pvst to mstp. So please let me know how many instances should I configure in extreme & how many vlans per instance in order to achieve less CPU utilization & faster performance?

2 REPLIES 2

FredrikB
Contributor II

Do you really need spanning tree in this day and age? Perhaps you should consider another networking topology? I do understand that it’s a necessary evil at times (I configured a handful switches in China yesterday and had to do it using RSTP) but I would certainly consider breaking up the MSTP/PVST+ network as much as I could and use LAG/MLAG and CWDM/DWDM or even just BiDi SFPs as a means to enable that.

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

ddpatil89,

Exos does support PVST+ except for the native vlan:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/Does-EXOS-support-PVST-on-the-native-vlan-of-...

For what concerns the # of MSTP instances, it will depend on your network designs and requirements.

Mig

GTM-P2G8KFN