Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

igmp snooping times out with mvr

igmp snooping times out with mvr

nikolai_ovesen
New Contributor
Hi!

I'm having some issues I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out:

What I am trying to achieve is to have one VLAN comming into a switch and "leak" multicast streams over into another VLAN using MVR.

I have vlan a vlan called src coming into this switch from the multicast source, on the switch I have configured MVR to "leak" these multicast streams over into several other VLANs, one per client, lets call them client1,client2 and so on where I will have clients subscribing to these multicast streams.

I have managed to get this part to work, if I join a stream data flows nicely, but only up until I reach IGMP snooping timeout of 260 sec.

I have managed to get around this issue by configuring the client vlans with an IP address, and that does work nicely. but I feel it is a really ugly solution and I was wondering if there was some other more elegant way to have the clients renew their subscription without having to configure an IP per vlan?
1 REPLY 1

Kawawa
Extreme Employee
You still require an IP address on the Subscriber VLANs that memberships reports can originate from, otherwise with IGMP snooping turned on and without a VLAN IP, we'll forward the stream for the duration of the host timeout, which is 260 seconds.

From the user guide under Basic MVR Deployment

• Configure an IP address and enable IGMP and IGMP snooping on the subscriber VLANs (by default
IGMP and IGMP snooping are enabled on Extreme Networks switches).
GTM-P2G8KFN