cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long (>90m) 1000Base-T runs or stretch stack

Long (>90m) 1000Base-T runs or stretch stack

James_A
Valued Contributor
We have a new building under construction, and the architects have realised some of the cat 6 cabling will be longer than 90m, putting them outside spec. So they want to put in several extra cabinets which I would then put some extra switches in, which I don't want to do as I prefer one logical switch (stack) per building.

Does anyone have experience of cabling longer than 90m? Has it worked fine or do you see problems?

Alternatively, if I get them to consolidate the cabling to a single extra cabinet, and then run fibre back to the main rack, could I stretch the stack that far? I'll likely be using X440-G2s.
1 REPLY 1

James_A
Valued Contributor
Answering my own question, a stretched stack looks perfectly feasible:
ExtremeXOS SummitStack-V capabilities allow up to eight X440-G2 switches to be stacked together via two of the native X440-G2 stacking ports. SummitStack-V allows use of standard 10Gb Ethernet cabling and optics technologies, providing long- distance stacking connectivity of up to 40 Km while eliminating the cable complexity of non-standard stacking options.
And here's all the distance limits for various types of SummitStack: https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/summit/Summit_Family_HW_Install/Stacking/r_stacking-method...

GTM-P2G8KFN